Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and Outlook 2007. Once upon a time when I was running Windows XP and Office 2003 I stumbled upon a search utility called Lookout, which I loved. Microsoft acquired them and made the utility available as Windows Desktop Search. When I installed Office 2007 for th first time I was still on Windows XP. I installed Windows Desktop Search and loved it. Since I have been running Windows 7 I have been severely stymied when it comes to searching through PST databases for past email correspondence. Sadly, Windows Desktop Search will not run on Windows 7.

I try to use the search facility built into Windows 7 and into Outlook 2007. I'm having a terrible time routinely finding recent and old email messages. Is there a utility out there that provides the functionality of Windows Desktop Search? I've been holding off asking, but now I'm desperate.

Thanks, - Dave McKeen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The Windows 7 search is Windows Desktop Search but built into the OS & with some further enhancements.

Are you sure you are indexing your PST file?

Are you sure the indexing is complete?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi JoeP, Yes, I know that Windows Desktop Search is built into the Windows 7 OS, but it's not as robust for me as the stand-alone version was. I haven't discovered the further enhancements in the latest incarnation. It's just not working well for me!

In Tools > Options > Preferences > Search > Search Options > Indexing I have check boxes checked for both the PST and an archive PST present in the "Index messages in these data files:" box. The "Prompt me" check box is checked as well, but I never have been prompted due to files still being indexed. In the Search section of Search Options I have the three check boxes unchecked. In the Outlook search box drop down menu in Indexing Status, the status is "Outlook has finished indexing all of your items."

I have an SSD boot drive and have "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" unchecked as advised in literature I've read on the care and feeding of SSDs.

When I want to find all instances of an email address in the data files I first choose Search All Outlook Items from the drop-down menu in Outlook's search box. Then I paste the address into the search box and click on the Search icon. In the results pane I see "searching" which can display from 5 to 10 seconds (seems much longer) before results start showing up. Sometimes no results at all show up for a search on a known email address. I can paste the address into Windows Start Menu search and sometimes it finds results Outlook search doesn't find.

I'll appreciate any suggestions. I sure do miss the standalone search utility!

- Dave

BTW, in Posting Options I see "You are currently receiving e-mail notification of replies", but I'm not receiving the notifications. Is there a place where I can set this?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try Xobni Free - http://www.xobni.com/. It links all your emails together by contact & conversation and is MUCH quicker than Windows Search.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Neil, Sounds great! I will try that out today. I have several archive PST files I need to include in searches so it looks like I'll need the $$ version. But I'll test drive the free one first! - Dave

Lounger
    Thanks
    Also might want to consider http://www.lookeen.net/
    They have a 14 day free trial of Lookeen which is an add-in extension for Microsoft Outlook.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Brian Z! I looked at Zobni but didn't like the big pane it put in the Outlook interface. I did some self-training and got Windows/Outlook's native search working, but it still don't hole a candle to Windows Desktop Search. Lookeen looks good- with just a small addition to a toolbar. I'll download the trial and take a look!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian Z, you're a GEM!! Lookeen's Axiom gmbh are the people who developed Lookout, which Microsoft eventually bought and made available as Windows Desktop Search. Reading the Cnet article it looks like Lookout might have wound up being part of Bing. I haven't done the download yet but nothing's stopping me now.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McKeen View Post
    Brian Z, you're a GEM!! Lookeen's Axiom gmbh are the people who developed Lookout, which Microsoft eventually bought and made available as Windows Desktop Search. Reading the Cnet article it looks like Lookout might have wound up being part of Bing. I haven't done the download yet but nothing's stopping me now.
    Good luck with it!

Lounger
    Thanks
    So far so good. I have five archives and the main PST indexed. About 25000 items. ) It already pulled something I needed out of the long-lost past. I am sure to purchase the program. Thanks again.

- Dave