New Lounger
    Thanks
    Over the past two months my HP computer will suddenly crash. No specific program involved. Have gone through many programs and utilities to find the cause with no success. The crashes do not appear to be due to hardware failures. The most I ever get back using the windows repair disc is informing me that automatic repairs are not possible due to unspecified changes to system configuration. My pc is updated to the latest updates from Microsoft and all drivers are up to date. I may have to reinstall windows from my original purchased Windows 7 DVD Home Premium-Upgrade Version 64 bit. I upgraded from Vista. What I would like to know is the following:
    1. Did Microsoft put a limit on how many times one can reinstall from the original OS DVD on the same computer?
    2. Since I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 will it let me do a clean install again without having to reinstall Vista first from the original recovery discs I created when the Computer was new?
    3. Will the Product Key transfer over automatically or do I need to go through authentication like the first time?
    I am somewhat confused on this and would like to get your opinions on how to do this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Dietmar,

There is no limit on reinstalls to the same computer. Try this procedure.
    1. Do a clean reinstall - DO NOT ACTIVATE!
    2. Reinstall immediately selecting Upgrade!
    3. Activate.

This should work, it did for me.

P.S. You will need the Product Key so if you don't have the original packaging use a program like Belarc Advisor or Magic Jelly Bean Finder to recover your Key BEFORE you attempt step 1. above.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the reply. What you are saying is to reinstall windows 2 times. The first time without entering the key which I have and the second time I should enter the key to reregister with Microsoft?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that is one way of doing it on a freshly formatted or unallocated space drive (i.e., there's no trace of Windows on the disk). Essentially it recognizes a Windows install and can "upgrade" itself. This is the method allowed by Microsoft in case of hard drive failure--there needs to be a way to get upgrade version back on a replacement disk. You may still need phone activation or similar procedure, just to verify the license is used only one time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    You may still need phone activation or similar procedure, just to verify the license is used only one time.
    Byron,

I was successful with activation over the internet.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs