New Lounger
    Thanks
    I frequently put pictures into tables. When I click on them, sometimes they will move in any direction when I use the arrow keys, just like I want. Sometimes they won't! I've attached a sample file where the picture will move up, down, and to the right. When I use the left arrow key, nothing happens. This happens regardless of whether the Text Wrapping is set for Square or Tight. I've tried playing with the "More Layout Options", but haven't been able to figure it out from there either. To compound the issue, sometimes the only keys that work are the Up and Right arrow keys.

Help?!?

Thanks!
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    John,

In your sample document, if you select the picture and hit Cttl+DownArrow once, it will then let you move the picture to the left with Ctrl+LeftArrow.

Without being able to explain exactly why that's happening, I think the problem you're getting is due to putting the text and picture inside a table cell - the layout constraints of the table cell and the floating picture are interacting in unpredictable ways.

I tend to put pictures into table cells, specifically when I don't want them to move around When I've got a picture that I want to be able to move around in relation to text, typically I leave that text and picture out of a table (others may have a different viewpoint, of course!)

If you take the text and picture in your sample document, and place them outside the table, then the picture should move around in a more predictable way - worth a try.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips, Gary. You are absolutely correct about moving pictures when not using tables. Works great in all directions! Unfortunately, I didn't have any luck with the tip on how to move the picture around inside the table cell and I have to use the pictures inside of tables. I typically have at least three and up to 10 of these in documents I produce.

Would be happy to try other options if you or anyone else has any other ideas.

Thanks!
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Here's something to try - seems to work here, although not sure why!:

Click anywhere in the cell that has the text and the picture. Click on the Table Tools and then Layout tabs. In the Table group, click on Properties to display the Table Properties dialog.
    Click on the Cell tab, and under Vertical Properties, change the setting from Center to Top.

When tested here, that seems to release the picture to respond to Ctrl+LeftArrow.

Gary

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Generally this happens when the anchor for a picture (not the picture itself) is within a table; if you insert the picture into the text above or below the table, then right-click on the picture, choose 'text wrapping' > 'more wrapping options' > 'Picture Position' tab > 'lock anchor' and make sure the picture layout is set to 'in front of text'.

Now you'll be able to move the picture anywhere you want on the page with complete freedom - because the anchor will remain outside the table.
    Beryl M

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPatrick View Post
    I have to use the pictures inside of tables.
    John,

A couple of questions.

Why do you have to use tables?

Couldn't you use a 2 column table and place the pictures in one cell and the text in another? I do this a lot in training manuals.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BerylM: Well, I must have my "stupid" hat on. I believe I explicitly followed your directions, but I had no luck. I even explored other options for text placement after I locked the picture outside of the table. I had high hopes for this solution, but couldn't get it to work.

RetiredGeek: This is only one cell of a table that's typically about a page long and has probably 20-30 cells in it. Row one may have two cells, row two with six cells, row three with one cell, row four with eight cells, etc. I've become quite the expert on tables here where I work! Bottom line: Columns are good, and I use them often, but it won't work for me the way I need to present info.

Other thoughts anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    John,

If that's the case have you seen the book "Microsoft Office Document Designer" by Stephanie Krieger ISBN: 0-7356-2037-7? It comes with a CD. This book takes the tables route to professional document design. I found it quite interesting. It's a rather small book for $30.00 but interesting. It has a 2005 Copyright!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as (1) the anchor is locked outside the table and (2) you changed the text wrapping to 'in front of text', you should be able to do what you want with the picture.

If you've done both of these and you still get the problems you describe, there must be something else affecting the page. How are you getting the picture in?
    Beryl M

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for trying again Beryl. When I do as you say, it shows the picture with a locked anchor which is outside of the table cell (untitled,jpg). I set the text wrapping to "in front of text" and that's exactly what it does (untitled2.jpg)! Still scratching my head. BTW, I also tried expanding the size of the cell by adding carriage returns so the picture would fit within the bounds of the cell.[attachment=90541:untitled.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, well, you have a choice here - either it's 'in front of text' and you can move it where you like - or it isn't and you can't! If I were you I'd simply make a hole in the text for the picture myself (split the cell, move one of the margins, etc) and place it using 'in front of text'.

However, if you want to use square/tight wrapping I suggest you position the picture using the specific commands in the wrapping dialog, rather than moving it with the mouse or keyboard - ie right click and choose 'more wrapping options', then pick your square/tight option and lef/right/center/other for basic alignment, or click into 'Picture Positions' tab and use one of the absolute positioning commands, 'down from margin/page/para' and/or 'in from left edge/margin' (can't remember the exact wording for those, I only have it at work!).

By the way, you do realise that if you place a pic that's bigger than the cell in that cell using square/tight etc wrapping, the cell will expand to accept it (as long as you haven't set an exact height) but of course it won't have any leeway to move?!
    Beryl M

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, Beryl, for taking the time to address my piddling little issue. I'll keep playing with the settings and see if I can make it work better. BTW, when working with software, you do know the difference between a feature and a bug, don't you? A feature is a bug that can't be fixed! I have a sneaking suspicion that my problem is a Word "feature"!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I meant to include this thought with my last post. You can also do a "reverse" crop of the pictures. Where you normally take away pieces of the picture when you crop, you can also expand the cropped area to include a blank portion. This works to "move" the picture to the left or down also (as shown in the attachment), but it's cheating the system. Oh well, whatever works!
    Attached Images Attached Images