Thanks
    I need to find a better way to share our printer over our home network.
    We have two desktop PCs and one Laptop that all need to print to the same printer.
    Below is a diagram of our home network:

Right now both PCs can print to the HP 5550 printer via the USB print server,
    but the laptop cannot print at all. All devices, except the DSL Modem, on our
    network have static IP addresses and can ping each other. All updates are
    installed, and all drivers are the most recent, however, I do know that there is not an
    updated driver for the HP Printer for Windows 7 (which might be the problem).

If possible, what is the best way to set this up so that we all can print?

Thanks for any assistance!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Windows 7 has a basic driver for the printer included with the OS. Have you tried to install the printer as a local printer on the Win7 PC?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We have a friend who had a similar problem. HP has no Windows 7 drivers for his several years-old printer. What they did have was a basic print-only driver for a different model which also works with my friend's printer. Maybe you can research that option at HP's support website?

I feel obliged to add that once upon a time we also owned a very expensive HP multi-function printer. It was barely 3 years old when we decided to upgrade to Windows XP. Imagine our disappointment to learn that HP did not and would not offer updated drivers for XP. When we called HP for an explanation an HP executive (not a customer service rep.) told us it's not their policy to bother spending time and money to develop new drivers for a new operating system. He said get over it and buy a new printer. Well, we switched to Canon and guess what? Canon has full-function drivers for the XP, Vista and Win 7 computers on our home network, no problem! Thank you Canon - and boo! hiss! to HP.

Regards

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is not the network in this case. It is the lack of a 7 driver. As others have said, a universal driver is available.

You may need to add the printer as a local printer, unchecking the "automaticaly detect and install" option. On the next screen click "add a new port" and select "standard TCP/IP port", put in your printer's IP address and after it is detected and the driver selection screen comes up, select the HP universal driver that you have downloaded and unzipped.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Windows 7 has a basic driver for the printer included with the OS. Have you tried to install the printer as a local printer on the Win7 PC?

Joe
    Joe. Yes, I have tried the basic driver that Windows 7 has included. Sorry to say, the output was one or two lines of garbled text per page, so I removed the driver and tried to install the old driver that came with the HP printer. Sad to say that I got the same garbled text issue. My XP PCs seemed to still print fine, but not Windows 7, so I think it isn't the printer causing the problem. I think it might be that Windows 7 wants a 64 bit driver and doesn't want to accept the 32 bit one. Gotta Love Micro$oft and HP! Thanks for your reply!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post

...I feel obliged to add that once upon a time...He said get over it and buy a new printer. Well, we switched to Canon and guess what? Canon has full-function drivers for the XP, Vista and Win 7 computers on our home network, no problem! Thank you Canon - and boo! hiss! to HP.

Regards
    Thanks for the reply. I have a newer Canon printer that I use in my business. I will take it home and swap it out and see what happens. If it works, I will certainly post back to let future readers know the results.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Haslam View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have a newer Canon printer that I use in my business. I will take it home and swap it out and see what happens. If it works, I will certainly post back to let future readers know the results.
    I replaced the HP 5550 printer with my Canon printer, installed the drivers, and the issue went away. Seems it is in the print driver that the HP uses, as the Canon drivers worked.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Haslam View Post
    I replaced the HP 5550 printer with my Canon printer, installed the drivers, and the issue went away. Seems it is in the print driver that the HP uses, as the Canon drivers worked.
    Hah! That's the problem you can bet! hp is selling the 6310 All-in-one printer that replaces the 5500 series printers and they want you to buy that one! hp is rapidly doing things that are going to affect their business dramatically in the long term! Not providing drivers for older printers, lowering product quality, (making parts in China out of plastic instead of America where they were stamped steel), is going to cause people to shop elsewhere. Would somebody tell these dumb salesman at the places like Frys and Best Buy that hp is no longer a quality product? They still believe it is!