2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 3 computers connected by wire to a Linksys router: Win7 Home Premium -- XP Pro SP3 -- Ubuntu. It would be nice if each of the 3 could find the other two, but only the Ubuntu machine can do this and it can't be found at all. My Win7 machine can find the XP machine, but not vice versa; neither of then can find the Ubuntu machine, which doesn't bother me. The XP machine used to be able to find the Win7 machine, but now it only finds itself. The problem may have been triggered by the only change I made: I added a HD to the Win7 machine and moved a HD from it to the XP machine. The drive I moved was not a boot drive; it contained only data. My question is how to find and repair the ability of the XP machine to find the Win7 machine?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    There's a HotFix for that! I applied it to my XP Pro SP-3 machine and it fixes the problem.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    There's a HotFix for that! I applied it to my XP Pro SP-3 machine and it fixes the problem.
    Thank you for the tip. I found the discussion and downloaded the MS fix file, then restarted my XP machine. No change. It still will not find any machine other than itself.

As a check, I re-verified that my Ubuntu machine can find both Windows machines. It not only finds them both, but finds them almost instantly. When I use my Win7 machine, it can find the XP machine, but it takes a long time. The thing I don't understand is why the XP machine cannot find the Win7 machine now, but could find it a week ago. Ideas anyone?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For a Windows 7 machine to be able to see an XP machine, or vice versa, you must set up a Workgroup! To do this in Windows 7 you must look under System when in the Control Panel in Small Icon View rather than the Network & Sharing Center. Look towardsa the bottom of the page and the default workgroup name should be there, click Change Settings to modify that. This is most likely your problem.