New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Loungers,
    Thinking caps required!
    Since Ms dropped the price I've been seduced into upgrading my Vista Home Prem to Windows7 Prem. It's been triggered off by my Vista HP playing up with programs freezing for a minute at a time, My new HP Printer would not install, it had all started with a failed update to a USB Wi-Fi stick which now won't work on Vista but works fine on XP!

So far so good, Amazon delivered the goods together with Windows 7 Inside Out.
    Done my backup onto an external drive using MS Easy Transfer (not Acronis it had a hissy fit! which I also bought). Big total on my Credit Card but persuaded my wife it was my BD Present!

Have run Win7 advisor and fixed items which it said might give trouble

Ran it as Win7 Update and all appeared to go well, getting five green ticks. It then started the Files, Settings and Programs Transfer, eventually settling on 522,739 items to transfer! The Warning at the top said it would need to reboot several time during this phase. It got about 65% through the transfer and started to reboot. It gave a few seconds view of the DOS Select Screen showing "Boot Windows 7" highlighted and dived into the fancy boot Screen! After a few seconds of not appearing to do anything it suddenly rebooted and before I could do anything it was 'rolling back to Vista' with what must be MS's most insensitive Error Message, "The Upgrade was not successful" After 3 hours of work and to get that!!! What was the cause?

I repeated the procedure having removed one or two programs that Upgrade advisor complained about (PC tools V5) and took out any USB connections (Keyboard, Printer and IR Receiver for my Tuner Card) and repeated (another three hours!) and had the same result!!!
    The reason I'm hoping to do an Upgrade rather than Clean is that I've collected over 70 Icons on my Desktop plus Office etc which I'm too lazy to try and re-install and remember where I got them!

Any suggestions? The Book gives no reasons and no mention of the Boot screen. Do I need to sit by the system and select Win 7 Boot?
    I know I can do a clean Install but why should I have to go through all the bother? MS say they have fixed all the problems! Ha ha HAAAAA!!!! It's the biggest joke in town.
    I'm running on a HP Compaq SR5414UK, Intel Dual core which I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest version. 2GB RAM and 250GB disk

PS I've already spent a fortune on Reimage to try and fix my Vista with no appreciable effects, I've run SFC on the vista as well as many different Registry Cleaners all to no result. Luckily my browsers and email still seem to work OK so I'm not cut off completely!

Thanks
    Paul, Welcome to the Lounge.

Do the Clean (Custom) install. I have read so many problems with the In Place Upgrade because quirks with the Vista system will be carried over to Win 7 and can create conflicts. When you do the Clean (Custom) install a folder is created on the C Drive called windows.old which contains the Vista OS. You can open this folder and drag items to your Win 7 OS. Favorites, music, pics, data, etc. When you have everything, delete the windows.old folder as it is rather large.

The desktop Icons should be available to drag over. When done, check out some of the excellent tip sites:

Paul Thorrott's Windows Supersite

How To Geek

Windows Seven Forums

to name a few.

Again, welcome.
    Cheers, Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted, I had already come to the same conclusion.
    You do have to watch though. I've got several folders which are not in 'user profile folders' which the MS Win7 Inside Out. So I've got to go through all my programs and make sure I have the Installation details and registrations codes. How many people have a folder with that data in? I've found I have over 20 which I expect to have to re-install
    I don't trust MS in their suggestions that you can just drag a program folder from this Windows.old and get them to work. Or do they?
    MS is delightfully unclear about little details like this. Anyway I have a back-up on an external drive using Windows Easy Transfer.

Anyway thanks again for your comments. When I'm up and working again I'll post again.

Thanks
    I did not actually try to drag any apps from the windows.old folder so I can not testify to that claim. I did drag all the data, including contacts, favorites, links, etc. I kniow what you mean about the licensing keys. I have mine stored in a folder in My Documents. I backed this up to a flash drive and included it in my Image. Now when I want to reinstall an app, the license key is easily available. Perhaps you can find all yours and do the same. Most of my originals are in the emails sent when I signed up. I also back up the emails in my Images.

I realize this is a problem in the beginning, but once you do it and create up to date images, you will be pleased with the result.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi Paul,

If you want to move your application programs to Windows 7 after a custom install to your Vista partition, you will need an application such as LapLink PCMover to do it.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Paul, copy or move your files to an external hdd before you start installing W7. Now do a custom install as Ted suggested but format C:drive, or you will have difficulties as I did. During installation you will also be able to partition your hdd how you want it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Why not use Windows Easy transfer to move your data and app settings to your new windows 7 environment. Just boot into windows Vista, rune easy transfer and save the data to a usb stick, install windows 7 and run easy transfer again and restore your data. It will also restore a lot of your Email and browser settings as well. It even copied over my Firefox favorites and add ons.

Jerry

Thanks
    I'm not sure if Easy Transfer will work to move apps, just customizations, data, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Easy Transfer doesn't move apps but it does move app settings like IE and Firefox favorites, Outlook setting ect. it.You still have to reinstall the applications themselves. It just saves a lot of configuration work.

From the Easy Transfer FAQ:
    You can transfer most files and program settings. Specifically:

* Files and folders. Everything within the Documents, Music, Pictures, and Shared Documents folders. Using advanced options, you can select additional files and folders to transfer from other locations.

* E‑mail settings, contacts, and messages.

* Program settings. Settings that keep your programs configured as you had them on your old computer. Windows Easy Transfer doesn't transfer the programs themselves. Some programs might not work in this version of Windows, including security programs, antivirus programs, firewall programs (your new computer should already have a firewall running to help ensure safety during the transfer), and programs with software drivers.

* User accounts and settings. Desktop backgrounds, network connections, screen savers, Start menu options, taskbar options, folders, specific files, network printers and drives, and accessibility options.

* Internet settings and favorites. Internet connection settings, favorites, and cookies.

* Pictures and video. Pictures—which includes any visual format (for example, .jpg, .bmp, and .gif files)—and personal videos.

* Music. Electronic music files, playlists, and album art.

See Windows easy Transfer For more details on usage.

Jerry