Lounger
    Thanks
    I did a reinstallation of Windows 7 on a new SSD and I'm having a problem with the cordless mouse. The pointer remains frozen until after I've clicked my user picture and entered the password (had to add a wired mouse to do that). Then there is a short delay, and finally the USB cordless mouse becomes active. I've done quite a few installations of Windows, but never had this issue. My mouse is a Logitech RX720 cordless lazer mouse.

Any suggestions on what to try? (I've alread reinstalled the Logitech software driver a couple of times.)

Thanks
    Hi rchris,

How old is the RX720 mouse? And have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for it?

Check in Event Viewer Windows Logs, Applications Log and System Log to see if there are any errors logged involving your Logitech wireless mouse.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi rchris,

How old is the RX720 mouse? And have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for it?

Check in Event Viewer Windows Logs, Applications Log and System Log to see if there are any errors logged involving your Logitech wireless mouse.

I've had the mouse probably just about 1 year; yes, I downloaded the latest drivers when the issue first came up.

Nothing in the logs that I can relate to the mouse. One interesting fact: there is no problem on a Restart; only from a cold bootup. Doesn't help me, much, but maybe a clue for someone!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks
    rchris, I also use Logitech cordless mice, 2 different models. They have been used without Logitech software (when installed correctly) on XP Pro, Vista H Prem and now W7 H Prem. without any trouble.
    Do the following. Uninstall the software for it, run registry cleaner tool in CCleaner. Uninstall mouse from device manager. Remove USB connector. Press power button to shutdown PC. Replug in USB and power up your PC. Let Windows install it then reboot. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    P.S. Check the batterys.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    rchris, I also use Logitech cordless mice, 2 different models. They have been used without Logitech software (when installed correctly) on XP Pro, Vista H Prem and now W7 H Prem. without any trouble.
    Do the following. Uninstall the software for it, run registry cleaner tool in CCleaner. Uninstall mouse from device manager. Remove USB connector. Press power button to shutdown PC. Replug in USB and power up your PC. Let Windows install it then reboot. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
    Great suggestion... that did it. I should have thought of that since I never used the Logitech software in the first place! I was just plugging along reinstalling everything after the Win 7 install without really thinking about it.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Your welcome. Thank the stars nobody gets it right first time, or I'd have no pastime.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Whoops! I spoke too soon. After one--maybe two--successful bootups, the mouse isn't working again. I've now determined that if I wait almost 1 minute after the logon screen appears, Windows finds it and it starts working on it's own. Can't figure out the reason for the delay after working correctly for years. (Note: a wired mouse works fine with no delay.)
    Do you think it has anything to do with the new SSD? I now get to the logon screen in less than 30 seconds (approx. time--I need to do an actual measurement).

Thanks
    Since installing your new SSD, have you considered updating to the latest BIOS for your motherboard as well as the latest motherboard chipset drivers.

Also, if you have MS Sysinternals Autoruns installed, you can check to see how many USB mouse drivers may be getting installed on your computer. System Information for Windows (SIW) can also give you information on drivers running on your PC.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Since installing your new SSD, have you considered updating to the latest BIOS for your motherboard as well as the latest motherboard chipset drivers.

Also, if you have MS Sysinternals Autoruns installed, you can check to see how many USB mouse drivers may be getting installed on your computer. System Information for Windows (SIW) can also give you information on drivers running on your PC.
    Yes, I have the latest BIOS & chipset drivers. Autoruns is a good tip. It showed a couple of Logitech Mouse drivers and Microsoft mouse drivers. Removed them all and then booted up. Same problem: about a minute plus after the logon screen before Windows activates the cordless mouse.

Thanks anyway. I'll keep experimenting. At least my corded mouse will activate normally.

Thanks
    rchris, as your location is not shown, do you have a radio controlled item, i.e. clock or a cordless phone near your pc. Were you supplied with an extension for the USB.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    rchris, as your location is not shown, do you have a radio controlled item, i.e. clock or a cordless phone near your pc. Were you supplied with an extension for the USB.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've now ruled out those possibilities; the problem still exists.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Since this mouse connects after about a 1 minute delay that suggests Windows is waiting for something else before initializing the port for the mouse. Do you have any network PCs or drives defined that may not be available to connect when the PC is booted? Windows can wait "forever", it seems, for a network device to respond.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Since this mouse connects after about a 1 minute delay that suggests Windows is waiting for something else before initializing the port for the mouse. Do you have any network PCs or drives defined that may not be available to connect when the PC is booted? Windows can wait "forever", it seems, for a network device to respond.

Joe
    Hmmm, good suggestion. The computer is wired to my router, but there are two other computers in the house using wireless connections to the same network. Although the setup is the same as it has been for a couple of years with no mouse issues (until the reinstall of Win7), I will certainly look into what you've suggested.