Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I trying to fix a Lenovo laptop running XP,SP3, with all the latest patches, updated AV, etc. It's about 4 years old, and apart from a dead CD player has worked without problems since it was bought. The default video mode is 1024 x 768, 32bit, and it supports all the usual lower resolutions.

On a normal boot it goes through the BIOS, manufacturers logo and XP logo, then when it should display the mouse pointer, "welcome" and login page, instead it just goes blank.

It's all working behind the scenes: I can shutdown using the keyboard, or logon and hear the logon sound, etc - but the screen remains blank.

I can boot to safe-mode at 1024x768, so I know the screen hardware is OK, and I can interrupt startup, and boot into VGA mode OK.

In VGA mode - no 'Monitors' section shows up in the device manager. In safe mode there are three "Plug and Play" entries under Monitor. I've tried deleting them, and hit 'Scan for New Hardware' - that replaces the entries but changes nothing.

I added an external monitor which is recognised (monitor goes out of 'stand-by, two more entries appear under 'Monitors') but that screen also remains blank.

Downloaded and reinstalled the video drivers and "Intel Graphics media acelerator driver" from the manufacturers website - no joy.

I'm now stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    From within safemode (where video is working) uninstall your video/graphics drivers, then reinstall the new ones upon next boot.
    It sounds to me like a corrupt driver. You will either have a built in GPU on the mainboard or a added GPU card to the mainboard, both
    of which will require drivers. Your's will most likely be "on board" GPU device built into the mainboard.

In device manager your graphic drivers should be under "display adapter".
    You can also look in the control panel's add/remove programs section for references to name brand video card drivers etc, if you have a video card.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.

I tried reinstalling the video drivers but got no improvement. I doubt it was a driver issue anyway because all video modes worked in safe mode. My guess would be that somehow it was trying to load an invalid video mode on startup...

I've had to do a complete rebuild of the laptop, and it's back running again.