Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the second internal hard drive for data/storage only. It has 4 partitions, D,E,F,G, none are active partitions, all NTFS formatted.

The problem is partition E and F. They are used to store large 4gb .iso images of DVD's. They are NOT routinely accessed, but used only for backup purposes. Once defragmented, they NEVER fragmented again. It was this way for months.

But, recently, these two partitions have begun fragmenting severely, usually sometime after shutdown and start up. They do not fragment when the computer is running constantly.

There are no new programs since the fragmenting of these two storage partitons began.

Recently, windows updated with patches and for some reason some OS files were placed on the second drive on partition E and after another update on partition F. I deleted these OS files and windows ran fine. Later windows updates and no more OS files appeared on partitions E or F (the OS is located on partition C, first hard drive).

Also, some windows shortcuts happened to be placed on partition E. I deleted those and ran registry cleaner. There have been no more problem with shortcuts on E partition.

Question: Does anyone know what is causing these two partitions to suddenly begin fragmenting severely and how to fix that? (Other than to run defragmenting on every boot)?

Any help is appreciated.

I didn't know where to look for help. Is there any other forum where I might find an answer to this fragmenting of the two storage partitions with large images?

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Question: Does anyone know what is causing these two partitions to suddenly begin fragmenting severely and how to fix that? (Other than to run defragmenting on every boot)?

Any help is appreciated.
    MMC,
    Hello.... Are you using a 3rd party "defrag" program ? I'm using PerfectDisk 11 (Raxco) http://www.raxco.com/ and it has the ability to let you choose who manages disk layout.They also have a user forum.
    Sounds like Windows has decided for you.Don't know about "Patches and Updates" ( P\U's) don't use em. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    What operating system are you running?
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Windows 7 64-bit

Thanks
    MMC,

How much free space is left on your C:\ drive? Generally you need 15% free space for Windows to function properly.

Have paging files been set up on partitions E and F, and if so, is Windows set up to automatically manage them within a min-max size range? This could cause some fragmentation.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    C partition free space is 51% (C partition is on 1st internal hard drive)
    E partition free space is 68% (E partition is one of four partitions on the 2nd internal hard drive)

Page file is on C drive, windows default paging size, and windows default paging performance variables etc are used.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows installer automatically unpacks to the disk with the most free space. It is most likely using your E and F drives to install the updates, then removes the temporary files, causing fragmentation.

I would not bother to fix this as a fragmented drive is guaranteed and will not seriously affect performance. If you must defrag, do it once every 12 months at most.
    Defrag

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    E and F partitions are ONLY for storage of large (4GB) files, there is NO OS on these partitions. When they fragment, windows shows anywhere from 10% to 40% fragmentation on each partition, each time there is a fragmentation. (I can also hear the hard drive making more noise.) Unfortunately, they have to be defragmented immediately.