5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two identical PCs running Vista. Since yesterday, the buttons on the YouTube website do not work in Internet Explorer 8 on one machine only. I am also getting "Errors on page" messages in the status bar, the Upload page not fully loading, and the message "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player" on some channel pages, although as far as I can tell, I have the latest versions of Flash (10.1.85.3) and Java (6.22), and JavaScript works on a test site, and I have not changed any settings. I checked for Windows updates, cleared the browser cache, and tried running IE without add-ons, but it still doesn't work.

My first hunch was that the problem was something to do with YouTube, but that works in IE8 on my other PC, and it works in Firefox on this one; i.e., the problem is only on one machine and only in IE8 and only on YouTube. What could be causing this?

Thanks
    Have you installed http://www.filehippo.com/download_shockwave/ Does IE have all its defaults.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. Can you confirm whether Shockwave is needed for YouTube, for buttons, etc.? I do not have Shockwave on my other PC, where YouTube works fine in IE.

Yes, I tried the Reset defaults option in IE, but it didn't fix the problem.

Thanks
    Shockwave is optional, I always install it. As to YouTube I never go there.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Can you confirm whether Shockwave is needed for YouTube, for buttons, etc.? I do not have Shockwave on my other PC, where YouTube works fine in IE.
    Adobe's naming is confusing. Shockwave Flash is Flash, which is used very widely on the web. Shockwave for Director is something else, now rarely required.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried the following.
    - Cleared temp files (CCleaner)
    - Checked for Windows updates
    - Cleared IE cache
    - Restored IE defaults
    - Started IE without add-ons

YouTube buttons etc. still do not work in IE8 on this PC only. Other websites work normally in IE on this PC.

YouTube does work in IE on my other PC, and in Firefox on this PC.

In other words, the problem is only with YouTube, only in IE, and only on this PC.