1. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a long-time user of Outlook and am extremely frustrated by the folder listing that separates email by account name in 2010. Has anyone found out how to display messages from all accounts under one "All mail" heading as in prior versions? I have moved to Thunderbird until I can find a solution. For me this is an example of "better" being the enemy of "good." I would have preferred that they left this one well alone or provided the option to go either way.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    How would you compare the display to Outlook 2003? In Outlook 2003, I have one Exchange Mailbox, multiple archival Personal Folders (each of which could include mail from any number of Exchange or POP accounts), and separate entries for each IMAP account. I don't think there is any way to collapse those three categories. But fortunately we have shortcuts... not in the folder list view but in the Mail view.

4. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also found the way Outlook 2010 handles mutliple email accounts a little frustrating.

My workaround was to create a new .pst file and edit the individual email accounts so they all pointed to the newly created message store. This can all be done by clicking File -> Account settings.

5. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your comment, Ian. I will look into it. At the moment I cannot quite visualize how that will work but will give it a whirl.

6. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words so here goes!

When I first setup OL 2010 by adding email accounts I was faced with the following (ignore the NewPST for now)

Presumably you are seeing similar.

I then created a new .pst folder as can be seen below.

Next step was to was point the individual email accounts to the new folder.

Then I copied all emails from the individual accounts to to the new folder.

As a final step, I closed the individual email folder structures by right clicking on them and selecting close.

End result - All email in one folder structure (named NewPST in the above images)

7. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am astounded and delighted at the effort you have put into this, Ian. I looks entirely doable and I will get down to it tomorrow. I am sure others will benefit from this. As an aside, I am finding Thunderbird excellent for email but the whole coordination with calendars and tasks is not as good as with Outlook which I also like to sync with my Touch iPod which is my portable calendar. Those shortcomings (in what is after all shareware) will push me back to Outlook.
    Thanks again.

8. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done this with no apparent problems except that my email scene is extremely complicated and getting all the old mail into the correct folder will be a chore. Thank you again.
    While we are discussing this, do you have a way of getting gmail in line, so that it permits mail to go somewhere other than its own mailbox?

9. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ian, I have followed your instructions and everything looks pretty. The problem now is that, despite telling Outlook that it is the default for email once again, I cannot get it to pick up any mail, although it will send it. I am testing the arrangement by sending messages to myself, from one email account to another (I have three). I can go into Thunderbird and pick up the test messages there if I tell it to do it manually. Its default is turned off.
    I have the sense that a data file is not the right mail collector for Outlook and only changes once the data comes into Outlook? i.e. is it not something that is updated after each action rather than being a component that acts? Presumably you are receiving email into the Inbox that you created within the data file folder heading. How did you do that?

10. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good God, everyone is making this way more complicated than it is. Just right-click on the mail window column header and choose "Sort By", then "From" or "Date" or whatever you want. That will include all messages regardless of which account it came in on. If you want to see them by Account again, just repeat the process on choose Sort By - Account.