Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a fresh install of W7 64 Bit. I have a bunch of desktop icons and I'd like them to stay in the rows in which I place them. I've never had this problem in XP, but every time I reboot, W7 will move the icons to other places on the desktop. I set the auto grid and auto arrange both on and off, and nothing seems to affect this. They just move where they will. Any way to keep them in one place?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What type of user account (Admin or Standard) are you using?

It appears that your settings are not being saved when you shut down Windows.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a program called IconRestorer which keeps all but 4 of my desktop icons ( I have 164) in place. I have tried other programs, but IconRestorer is by far the best. To get the most out of it I made a small donation to get the Supporters Edition, which is better than the free version.

Why the same 4 of my desktop icons move every time I restart Windows is beyond me, but they don't move far, always to the same place, and it only takes a second to move them back where they belong.

Here is the link to the publisher's home page: http://fsl.sytes.net/

Hope this works for you.

Regards,
    Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    +1 for IconRestorer. I have only 66 icons, but it takes perfect care of them. As far as I know, there is no standard procedure (in Windows 7) to achieve the same.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed the IconRestorer. I'll see how that works. Does it hold the icons in place, automatically restore them to the last saved configuration, or do I have to click on the icon to put my desktop like I saved it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, and I'm an Admin. DaveA.

Thanks
    Under Personalization (Right click desktop and choose Personalization), select Change Desktop Icons on left side of window. This opens the Desktop Icons Settings box. Is it possible you have selected Allow themes to change desktop icons? This would cause the icons to change.

[attachment=90565:Icons.png]

This might be a shot in the dark, but I also use Win 7 64 Bit (Ultimate version) and have no such problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did have that checked (by default). Does that change the icon for the theme (as I would suppose) or change them positionally?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, I very nice desktop icon program is Stardock's Fences. You might want to take a look at this for a way to organize your desktop.
    Fences Link

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OOwoo. I like the Fences page. Stardock, as I recall, has a good reputation. (Window Blinds or something like that?) Is it stable with W7 64 bit?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Fences. So far, I just love it. Is there any value to buying the full bodied version?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This doesn't affect my gadgets display, does it? I lost a gadget....

Thanks
    I just use 'sort by type'; they don't move around, and I get used to where they are.

More often than not, I open apps by clicking something from the Recent Items folder or Documents folder. The apps I use most often line up on the Start Menu. I've just never been big on desktop icons, and usually opt out of putting icons on the desktop when I install.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I've only got a dozen icons on my desktop as well and 4 of those are for Sleep, Logoff, Shutdown and Restart. The others are the usual Recycle bin, My Computer, Network, DVD Drive, etc. They seem to stay exactly where I put them. None of these are theme dependent. Shortcuts to my apps I include on a Toolbar on the Taskbar.

[attachment=90576:Shortcuts1.png]

The Shortcuts folder is in My Documents on my D Drive. I just right click the Taskbar and choose to create a new Toolbar, then point to the Shortcuts folder. To add new entries simply right click on the Shortcuts Toolbar and choose Open, then drag another app shortcut and drop it. If I right click on the open toolbar I can choose to sort alphabetically which seems to work best for me.

This gives my desktop a much cleaner look, less clutter. That way I can actually see what's showing on the desktop, not a bunch of icons. I worked with a guy who's desktop was so cluttered with icons he was forever searching for what he wanted. Spent more time doing that than actually working.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. I'm still learning about W7. I only have about a dozen or so shortcuts myself + some desktop folders containing useful but infrequently used tools and apps. My actual desktop shortcuts are to apps that I use the most often and some are linked to keyboard shortcuts too. Your idea may provide value as well. I'll try that when i get home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast