Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Setting up (in work shop) an older Dell 8200 (Service Tag G7VWZ01) with a new HD and have Win2K Pro and Win XP HE. Have a lot of experience with W2K pro and none with Win XP. The Dell has only 512MB of memory now.

The question is which OS may serve best. I have no experience with Win XP and have heard some bad 'mouth about it. Comments please and thanks a lot.
    Ray/FL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ray,

I'm assuming that this is a standalone, i.e. not connected to a LAN. In that case I'd choose XP as the OS. It is still supported and has all the latest security patches available. Also, a much larger base of programs to run on it including a whole raft of free stuff that works great. Of course, this is My Opinion and I'm sure you'll get lots of others. YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Along the same lines as RetiredGeek, in that how much connectivity to LANs and the Intenet is it going to have, what programs are going to be running, etc. Win2K is two support stages behind, whereas XP is still supported but even there, Microsoft is releasing programs that only work in 7 and not XP (the reason I say XP is one stage behind now).
    The only reason I can think of to run Win2KPro is if its more of a business computer that is running older business software that is compatible and is more or less a standalone system.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Today I follow your suggestions and installed Win XP. By the time I read the responses I had begun the install for W2K but stopped it, cleaned up the partial install and started over clean and fresh. My first experience with Win XP and I like it very much. I have Win 7 as my main machine and love it much. Thanks for the brief and rich help.
    Ray/FL

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Revette View Post
    Setting up (in work shop) an older Dell 8200 (Service Tag G7VWZ01) with a new HD and have Win2K Pro and Win XP HE. Have a lot of experience with W2K pro and none with Win XP. The Dell has only 512MB of memory now.

The question is which OS may serve best. I have no experience with Win XP and have heard some bad 'mouth about it. Comments please and thanks a lot.
    Ray/FL
    I installed Win XP today and want to add some additional memory but find it difficult to shop for. Can anyone point the way to a good source to deal with and for a fair price. Thanks for the help gentlemen.
    Ray/FL

Thanks
    Ray,

It may take a while but be sure you run windows update over and over {rebooting after each cycle even if it doesn't force you to} until it tells you that there are no more critical and/or important updates!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Revette View Post
    I installed Win XP today and want to add some additional memory but find it difficult to shop for. Can anyone point the way to a good source to deal with and for a fair price. Thanks for the help gentlemen.
    Ray/FL
    For many years I've used Crucial.com. Their pricing is competitive. The memory is guaranteed to work with your system. No hassle returns.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Ray,

If my old memory is working {the stuff between the ears} the Dell 8200 had RDRAM? If that is correct you're in for a big surprise. I had an old Dell, I think it was an 8200, with RDRAM I was going to upgrade for VISTA. Found out, via Crucial.com, that it would cost me 2K to upgrade to 2Gb of RDRAM. Needless to say that computer was donated and I got a brand spankin' new Dell with Quad core processor, larger faster HD, better Video Card (to handle Aero), etc. This machine is the one I'm now running w/Win-7 64Bit just fine. So you may want to rethink the upgrade. Just another note, if you do get a new machine check out how many memory slots it has and how much memory Dell puts in it. I did the research and bought this machine with the minimum, then immediately ordered 4Gb from Crucial. Had the Crucial memory when the Dell was delivered, tossed the dell memory in the parts bin and installed the Crucial. All for much less money than Dell wanted for an upgrade to 4Gb.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Based on a little research, I too think that there may be RDRAM in that system.

For a time it was discontinued and became very scarce and prices went through the roof as RetiredGeek says. Hoever I'm wondering if now that there is practically no demand at all, prices may have dropped way back down again...if its available at all.

Check out this link, http://www.rdram4less.com/dedi818240fs.html and see if it or some similar product fits your system's requirement. Can't vouce for the site but its a Yahoo affilitate so it looks legitimate to me.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Based on a little research, I too think that there may be RDRAM in that system.

For a time it was discontinued and became very scarce and prices went through the roof as RetiredGeek says. Hoever I'm wondering if now that there is practically no demand at all, prices may have dropped way back down again...if its available at all.

Check out this link, http://www.rdram4less.com/dedi818240fs.html and see if it or some similar product fits your system's requirement. Can't vouce for the site but its a Yahoo affilitate so it looks legitimate to me.
    It does use rdram and I'm checking with the company suggested. The service tag is G7VWZ01. It appears they offer for less. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks
    Ray,

Byron is correct. I entered your service tag at the dell site and it showed you are using 400 MHz RDRAM. Your machine has 4 slots {memory goes in in pairs} and the max memory the machine will handle is 2Gb. For Win XP 1Gb should be just fine if you add one of the sets offered at the site Byron provided you should have more than enough to have a responsive system. Unless you do some very memory intensive tasks like creating videos and/or editing large photos in TIFF or RAW formats then you may want to get two sets and chuck your current ram.

Edit: Here is the link to the Crucial entry on your machine, they don't have any in stock but the link has some good information about your machine and memory in general.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Now a new problem with the install of Win XP on a clean HD. I had to accept (on install setup) just one partition (of 140 GB size drive). Thought I could later partition within Win XP but don't find a way to do so. Is there a program to DL that will partition with the OS install already on the drive and also make the few additional partitions desired on the HD? Again thanks.
    Ray/FL

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a program to DL that will partition with the OS install already on the drive and also make the few additional partitions desired on the HD? Again thanks.
    Yes,

http://www.partition-tool.com/

Lounger
    Thanks
    No sooner do I get a solution to a problem or question when another problem pops up. Recall please the OS installed is Win XP and now problems with it are acting out. During today, the second day building the completed install, the OS just drops dead as if the power plug was pulled and first it would start up but on the second and third the start-up was less simple. After several restarts it began to run fine and then it would drop dead again.

There is not an indication of why or what went wrong. The last drop dead was several minuets into a DL from Windows Up Date. Today drivers were installed and Firefox and Thunderbird was installed but there is no correlation with any one program or thing. Any suggestion of what is going on or what I can do to fix it or how to deal with it. I am so accustomed to stability in the OS and this is throwing me big time. HELP please

Since posting all above this point I have tried several times to restart. It goes through till the main first page is on and the loading indicator is 'bouncing' across the bottom However the background is all a series of vertical lines. The page for Window XP drops away and only the lines remain and the computer freezes. On occasion the menu page for various safe modes appear and when one is selected it will start up. I just read Gerald's comments and will work the ones out I can.

Will Win XP repair similar to W2K?

Ray/FL

Thanks
    Hi Ray,

The symptoms may or may not be related to the OS. I would open the PC case and make sure every power and data connect point is firmly attached. Something may have come loose when you changed out the hard drive. Also check your ram sticks by removing them and reseating them in their slots. Make sure the heat sink and fan on your CPU are firmly in place and free of dust. A good can of compressed air made for the job can be found at any computer shop, Walmart, Office Depot, etc. If the CPU heatsink/fan are clogged, your PC may be shutting down to protect it from damage.

It is also possible that your power supply is on its way out.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast