2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, again, Colleagues All,

I am trying to get to grips with Word 2010, which can be very frustrating, because all of the previous versions descended from one another (even the old Word 5), but this one seems to have descended from some alien planet, with only a few features recognised as vaguely human.

I know that headings are useful in the creation of nice documents - I even use them myself to impress clients or my tax accountant, but a lot of my Word usage is simply to keep lots of notes, or drafts for my blogs and do not require formatting at all. I do not want to go to the trouble of creating a new style for a blank document and have to call it up and I would be quite happy to select the blank document style provided, if only I could delete the sizeable header. The trouble is, it won't go ! I right-click in the header area, get a tiny "edit header" button and enter the header tools area. I then navigate to the Remove Header icon at the bottom and click it, but nothing happens. The thin blue line has not retreated in the face of the ravening hordes. I have tried reducing the height to zero and the blue line disappears, but the cursoe still refuses to enter the area where the header used to be.

Can anybody give a simple solution to this problem which does not take up more than a couple of keystrokes ?

Jim

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Jim,

You can change the header size in Word 2010 in the same way as you do with any previous version - by editing the page properties.

I image the steps are the same as for Word 2007, which means going to: Page Layout|Page Setup > Layout. You might also want to change the top & bottom margins (Page Layout|Page Setup > Margins).

Note: For the '>', click on the little arrow in the bottom-right corner of the 'Page Setup' tab.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_from_oz View Post
    I right-click in the header area, get a tiny "edit header" button and enter the header tools area. I then navigate to the Remove Header icon at the bottom and click it, but nothing happens. The thin blue line has not retreated in the face of the ravening hordes. I have tried reducing the height to zero and the blue line disappears, but the cursoe still refuses to enter the area where the header used to be.
    I'm not sure whether you really want to reclaim the part of the page occupied by the header, or just not have to look at it. For the latter, you can use the Normal/Draft view (it was Normal through 2003, then in 2007 renamed to Draft). Alternately, in Print Layout view, you can double-click the top of the page to hide the headers and footers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt and useful response, macropod and jscher2000.

Those little arrows are very handy for presenting bits of information in a pseudo-Word2003 format - very useful for old guys like myself who have Word 2003 functionality built into their fingers (first emergence of apps, perhaps ?). The draft layout suits pretty well for immediate requirements. No doubt, I will have to sit down and set up some proper style sheets in due course. meanwhile, my irritation level has gone down heaps.

I did find an interesting bit of functionality. If one vlivks on the arrow in the Styles area, a list of elements is opened up. If you right-click on Header, you then have the option to delete it completely from that style.

Thanks again.

Jim.