Colleyville, Texas, USA
    Our Access data file was created, and remains, in Access 2003. Others in the office use Access 2003; I use Access 2007, and am able to edit and merge with no problems. In Design View, I tried to change a text field to a memo field and received this message: "Cannot open database. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt."

I don't believe the file is corrupt, as we are able to work in the data file without problems. Is it the newer 2007 version that causes Access to treat it as from another application? What do I need to do to be able to edit these fields?

Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    Evergreen, CO, USA
    I presume you trying to change the design of a field in a table. Is your database split into a front-end and a back-end database? Or is it possible that the database is still in an Access 97 or Access 2.0 format? In order to change the design of a table, you must be in the database that contains the table, as Access won't let you change the design of a linked table. To determine the format of the database, open your database in 2007 and make sure no forms or other code runs by holding down the shift key when you open it. Then the database format will be displayed in the Access 2007 window Title Bar. As long as you are using the 2000 or 2002/2003 database format, you should be able to work in it just fine with either Access 2007 or 2010.