4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HP d4100e desktop computer, running XP Pro SP-2, with a SATA hard drive.
    Im considering changing the hard drive, and doing a clean install of XP Pro (not using the HP restore disks I have a Microsoft full install XP Pro SP-2 disk), for several reasons:
    Faster disk (7200 RPM);
    More capacity;
    After 5 years, my OS could use a complete refresh although it appears to be running well, it wont accept the SP-3 upgrade, or the .NET 3.5 upgrade, or the SP-3 continuous re-boot patch (and who knows what else?).

In the interest of a trouble-free changeover to a new HD, I have a few questions:

Since XP has no native SATA compatibility, I copied the SATA drivers to a floppy, which I can point the install program to using F6. My problem is that Im not sure I have the correct drivers. I got them from the C:\hp\drivers\Promise_FT_TX2300_B1_1_00_0030_39 directory on my hard drive, which appears to have SATA drivers. Could someone confirm that these are the correct drivers?

Im also concerned about some other drivers, particularly the chipset driver. At what point do I install that driver? Does it also need to be on the floppy, or can I install it after the XP re-installation? If I need it on the floppy, will the driver that I download from the HP site (SP26506.exe) be sufficient, or do I need to extract the actual drivers from the executable? Same question for the network driver. I think I can install most of the other drivers after XP is up and running is there something Im missing?

Any other advice that might make for a smoother transition?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Les,
    The motherboard on your PC is only spec'd for sata 150 not 300. You might have to strap the sata drive to 150 as some mobos and drives will not automatically negotiate the speed back to 150. Don't buy too big of a hard dirve as the motherboard and bios might not recognize the size.

I would avoid going beyond your hardware limits as you will not likely see the benefits as the above HP support suggests.

Since XP has no native SATA compatibility, I copied the SATA drivers to a floppy, which I can point the install program to using F6. My problem is that Im not sure I have the correct drivers. I got them from the C:\hp\drivers\Promise_FT_TX2300_B1_1_00_0030_39 directory on my hard drive, which appears to have SATA drivers. Could someone confirm that these are the correct drivers?
    I cannot confirm the above driver pathname for you as I do not have an HP system. Your XP, SP 2 installation disk may provide basic SATA support. A slipstreamed service pack 3 definitely will.
    You may not need to load SATA drivers for clean install. Your bios has built in native support for your SATA 150 hard drive...
    BIOS features The mainboard BIOS provides Plug & Play BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically
    The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications
    Supports boot from LAN, USB Device 1.1 & 2.0, and SATA HDD
    Im also concerned about some other drivers, particularly the chipset driver. At what point do I install that driver? Does it also need to be on the floppy, or can I install it after the XP re-installation? If I need it on the floppy, will the driver that I download from the HP site (SP26506.exe) be sufficient, or do I need to extract the actual drivers from the executable? Same question for the network driver. I think I can install most of the other drivers after XP is up and running is there something Im missing?
    Once you get the operating system installed, these other drivers can be installed normally. Make sure you have the latest drivers on hand, including chipset & bios updates, from the HP website.
    I would also recommend downloading the full service pack 3 installation for this and not via windows update.

Confirm your mainboard:
    Motherboard Specifications, MS-7093 (Ahi and Ahi2)
    Motherboard Specifications, A8AE-LE (Amberine)

Any other advice that might make for a smoother transition?
    Maximize the amount of memory you have for better system performance, add more if needed.
    You have 4 SATA 150 ports on your motherboard, utilize them, but stay within your hardware limitations.
    I do not believe the size of the hard drive is going to be much of a problem here, as your system is not that old.
    There are a few options for SATA 1.5Gb/s drives that are 7200 rpm, look here.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would stick to the HP re-install CD as it will contain the correct drivers for your disk controller etc. Then I would update to SP3, then maybe look for driver updates.

The SATA disk will be fine on your older controller because the disks are made to be backward compatible.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Clint. Thanks for replying.

The HP Support link you posted actually takes me to the posting I made to the HP Support forum about this same issue. As you will see in that thread, I am unable to slipstream anything into my SP-2 install (at least not using nLite, it doesn't work on my system).

How can I tell whether my XP installation will recognize the SATA drive without referencing the drivers on a floppy? I have the A8AE-LE motherboard.

Also, here is a list of the files in the Promise directory that I believe contains the SATA drivers on my system.
    bb-run.sys
    DontGo.sys
    ftsata2
    Ftsata2.cat
    ftsata2.inf
    ftsata2.PNF
    ftsata2.sys
    ftutil2.dll
    INFCACHE.1
    readme.txt
    txtsetup.oem

They sure look like SATA drivers to me, but some confirmation would be reassuring.

I already have a full SP-3 update disk waiting in the wings for use if the SP-2 installation is successful. I'll make sure to install the reboot patch first, since I have an AMD processor.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    How can I tell whether my XP installation will recognize the SATA drive without referencing the drivers on a floppy? I have the A8AE-LE motherboard.
    It looks like you have them listed in your above post. Put them on the Floppy for use if needed during install.
    Service Pack 2 should have the needed drivers to install XP on a SATA drive.
    You can also go into the BIOS and change the SATA Controller working mode from AHCI to Compatible mode. ( a potentially workable option)

Other information:
    The Role of the F5 Key and Shutdown Problems
    Installing Windows XP On a SATA Hard Drive

If you continue to have concerns make an imaged DVD disk of your operating system with a third party imaging software application that is capable of boot restoration.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint.
    Good advice, great links.
    I guess tomorrow I'll gather my application disks, buy a hard drive, and hope for the best. I can always reinstall my original hard drive if this operation self destructs!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you are using the on-board disk controller and it is SATA, the HP recovery CD will have the drivers.
    You have not mentioned whether you are adding a new SATA card?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, PT.

I'm using the on-board controller, just replacing the drive. However, I'm not using the HP recovery CD. I have a Microsoft full-install disk that I'll be using. I plan on using the drivers that I listed above on a floppy during the installation. I still don't understand why they're Promise drivers, since I'm not aware of any Promise Technologies equipment on my computer, but that's what HP usedt on the original installation.
    I haven't looked at the HP recovery CD - are the drivers identifiable, or are they part of a CAB file?

I purchased my new drive yesterday, a Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM. I don't need a drive that large (actually didn't want one that large) , but for $50, with a 30-day no questions asked return policy at Microcenter, why not? I'm still accumulating all the application disks and other software that I'll need to install, and then I'll replace install the new drive.

Thanks for your input.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    HP do not make computers as such, they just assemble the various bits from other manufacturers and put them on a motherboard and put it in an HP case. As a result you get different brands of CPU, video, LAN and hard disk controller.

The advantage of using the HP recovery CD is all of the drivers are already on the CD, but you can collect all the drivers from the HP web site and load them yourself. Extracting them from the HP CD can be difficult as they are embedded in the OS, not usually as separate drivers.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, I'm doing exactly what you suggest, i.e., I downloaded all the drivers that I'll need from the HP site (as SPxxxx.EXE files), EXCEPT the SATA drivers, which I'll need PRIOR to the OS installation, and which HP does not have on its site. I was not planning on extracting anything from the HP recovery CD (in fact, I want this installation to be as generic as possible). I did, however, go to the Promise Technologies site, and verified that their SATA drivers are the same ones that HP has in the Promise folder on the hard drive (the ones I copied to the floppy). So I think they'll work (find out for sure tomorrow).
    I'm pretty sure that HP does not assemble the MB. I believe that it's an ASUS board, built to HP specs, but not supported directly by ASUS. However, I believe you are correct that HP assembles their computers from bits and pieces supplied by the other manufacturers, and that the ASUS MB is just one of those pieces. Which is too bad, because ASUS provides pretty good BIOS and driver support, while HP seems to forget about their products after a couple of years.
    Thanks for following this thread, I value your opinions.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, here are the results of all the above discussions (thank you all for your suggestions). Sorry I took so long getting back to you, but it took me a couple of days to re-install my applications.

Except for some minor annoyances (see below), the installation went well, and I'm very pleased with the performance of my computer (a significant improvement in speed, mainly attributed to the faster HD). The HD is also noticeably quieter than my old one.

I did need to use the floppy with the SATA drivers (Windows didn't provide any, but the one's I had worked well). I went through a complete installation of XP with SP-2, but for some reason, when the installation program started formatting the new drive, it assigned the letter J: to the drive (how strange!). Of course, this screws up any application that expects the system to be on the default C: drive. I scratched my head over this, then noticed that my built-in multi-card reader had been assigned drive letters beginning with C:, and after the four card readers and two optical readers had gotten their assigned letters, the hard drive got whatever was left. Shouldn't do that, should it? So I disconnected my card reader from the MB USB connector, and started all over again. This time, the HD was assigned C:, and the installation went well, including the SP-3 update. I re-connected the card reader, and everything looks good.

When I finished the installation, I started updating the drivers. I installed the ATI chipset driver from the HP site, and the video card driver that come with my new graphics card (purchase 3 or 4 weeks ago). Also loaded the monitor driver for my Dell monitor. These all went well. But I had no audio - not even the option to select Realtek 97 as my sound source in the control panel. I tried the Realtek driver from the HP site, but it either didn't install or didn't work. I went to the Realtek site and downloaded their driver, and it loaded slick as a whistle and works beautifully. I still don't know why the HP driver wouldn't work - it worked fine before I started all this. I also replaced Internet Explorer (v.6 was installed) with v.7. That went well. I use Firefox as my primary browser, but since Windows needs a version of IE, I like 7 the best.

One thing I do regret. HP had an update on it's driver site for the Windows Help and Support application, so I loaded it. It loaded fine, but completely changed the look and feel of the Help and Support app from the one installed by Windows, and I don't like it as well. Is there a way to revert back to the Windows one?

Also, I disabled the Windows firewall (my router provides a hardware firewall), and installed my personal protection choices (Avira, Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Ad-Aware). I guess I must have waited too long after disabling the Windows built-in protection, because when I did my initial scan using Ad-Aware, it identified 3 worms, which I allowed it to remove from my system. Subsequent scans with Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Avira came up clean. On a whim, I immediately re-scanned with Ad-Aware, and again it showed 3 worms, which I again had it remove. Restarted the machine, and re-scanned a third time with Ad-Aware, and this time it came up clean. That was yesterday. Today, I finished installing a multitude of other apps that I use, and configuring Internet Explorer. I also ran Ad-Aware again, and it came up with two more worms (which I removed). The other 3 scanners came up clean, as did a re-scan with Ad-Aware, but I'm a bit nervous. I have Avira set as my real-time protection, and the worms apparently can evade that, but I've never had that happen in the past 5 years (including 2 years of using Avira), so I don't know what's going on. Any suggestions? I believe that I'm at risk when I use IE (which I had active for quite a while while I was configuring it), even though I downloaded and installed the IE7 security update from Microsoft.

A couple of other questions.
    My machine originally came from HP with a versions of Sonic and WinDVD installed, but of course, since I used a Windows installation disk for the new installation (as opposed to the HP recovery disks), these programs were lost. There are updates for these programs on the HP driver site, and their file size indicates that these might be full installs. Do you know if they'll install without a previous version being installed, or are they truly just updates?

Well, there you have it. All in all, I'm satisfied with the upgrade (both hardware and software), and my machine runs like it's brand new. Thank you all again for your help.