Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the longest time I have used Windows Live Messenger and even found it did pretty good video but recently it has become a major source of annoyance! First I was getting contact requests from people I absolutely did not know! Sometimes 2 & 3 per log on. Since I do not accept anyone on my contact list that I do not know personally, (friends or relatives only), this was getting old quickly! Then I made the horrible mistake of downloading the optional update of Windows Live Essentials! I can tell you right now, do not do that! It instantly changed Windows Live Messenger into this big push screened monster! The compact version that could sit open with several other messengers on your desktop was gone! No matter what I did I could not get Windows Live Messenger to return to it's former self. Since most of the people I video chat with on that service have moved over to Skype I decided that the solution was to permanently log off the service and uninstall the entire mess! It does uninstall and I highly suggest you run a Registry Cleaner afterwards to remove any possible paths in that file that will help it to auto-reinstall the application! I intend to never use the service ever again and that includes mobile! I urge everyone else reading this to do the same, get rid of this repulsive service! It must be made clear to Microsoft that forcing people into their poor idea of a social site cannot be tolerated and it must hurt where it counts...in the pocket book! Windows Live now joins Bing, (what a horrible name!) on the list of services I will never again use. It's to bad, Windows Live Messenger was really good and they had to go muck that up too!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Morse III View Post
    Windows Live now joins Bing, (what a horrible name!) on the list of services I will never again use. It's to bad, Windows Live Messenger was really good and they had to go muck that up too!
    Allen,
    Hello... There are many that disagree with me ...but this just once again proves my point " That you can't improve on everything is working" In my (small ) experience, if your system is working (not talking security here) by applying patches and updates ( P \ U's ) you only have but one way to go...South... or in other words "Welcome to Bugville"..... Don't know, and can't understand why this concept can not be understood by most? But meets with huge resistance every time that it's mentioned ....go figure Regards Fred

PS: This is one reason to have a backup strategy (system images) in place and ready to "rock and roll".... especially since there is "imaging software" out there for FREE.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Morse III View Post
    For the longest time I have used Windows Live Messenger and even found it did pretty good video but recently it has become a major source of annoyance! First I was getting contact requests from people I absolutely did not know! Sometimes 2 & 3 per log on. Since I do not accept anyone on my contact list that I do not know personally, (friends or relatives only), this was getting old quickly! Then I made the horrible mistake of downloading the optional update of Windows Live Essentials! I can tell you right now, do not do that! It instantly changed Windows Live Messenger into this big push screened monster! The compact version that could sit open with several other messengers on your desktop was gone! No matter what I did I could not get Windows Live Messenger to return to it's former self. Since most of the people I video chat with on that service have moved over to Skype I decided that the solution was to permanently log off the service and uninstall the entire mess! It does uninstall and I highly suggest you run a Registry Cleaner afterwards to remove any possible paths in that file that will help it to auto-reinstall the application! I intend to never use the service ever again and that includes mobile! I urge everyone else reading this to do the same, get rid of this repulsive service! It must be made clear to Microsoft that forcing people into their poor idea of a social site cannot be tolerated and it must hurt where it counts...in the pocket book! Windows Live now joins Bing, (what a horrible name!) on the list of services I will never again use. It's to bad, Windows Live Messenger was really good and they had to go muck that up too!
    Did you try "Switch to compact view"? That restores the small Messenger view that you mentioned.

Microsoft and everyone else is going to a more connected/social view. Fortunately, you can manage your preferences for social connections.

[attachment=90583:Capture.PNG]

Joe
    Joe