Lounger
    Thanks
    All of a sudden, my PC will not boot from a CD/DVD. It recognizes both the SATA optical drives I have, knows the bootable (in this case the Win 7 install disk) disk is in there, the boot up sequence shows "Boot from CD/DVD", then "press any key to boot from CD/DVD", but it still goes to the HDD to start the OS.

I have tried both setting the CD drive as first option in the BIOS, as well as using the f12 key to give a boot menu, but same result. I have tried the Win 7 disk in both of the drives I have, but no joy.

Suggestions?
    Mike
    I can always use good information

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    "All of a sudden" - does this mean you were able to boot from a CD/DVD in the past?

Do other CD/DVDs work correctly?

Have you checked all the physical connections?

Do you have access to another PC to try the Windows DVD to make sure it is still OK?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    "All of a sudden" - does this mean you were able to boot from a CD/DVD in the past?

Do other CD/DVDs work correctly?

Have you checked all the physical connections?

Do you have access to another PC to try the Windows DVD to make sure it is still OK?

Joe
    I will answer all the questions above with a "yes"
    Mike

Thanks
    Mike,

Have you checked the disk for scratches/smudges? Also, I know this seems silly but sometimes the disk is not properly centered in the tray...it's happened to me! If you have another bootable disk like a Linux Live CD try booting from that.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    The disk(s) I have tried to boot from are scratch-free, and they boot another computer just fine. As far as the centering issue, we are talking about two separate DVD drives here, and both of them will open other disks to see the files, or to play a game.
    Mike

Thanks
    Software
    Remove both CD/DVD ROM devices in device manager, then boot into bios...
    Go back into your bios and remove both SATA DVD/CD ROM devices, boot the computer and then reset them back in the bios and try again.
    Go back into your bios and set only one of your SATA DVD/CD ROM drives as "first boot device" and try again.
    Consider a bios update flash if a newer one is available.
    Hardware
    Unplug all physical connections to the drives and their mainboard counterparts and try to boot from device again.
    Consider replacing drives older than 4-5 years.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ricks View Post
    The disk(s) I have tried to boot from are scratch-free, and they boot another computer just fine. As far as the centering issue, we are talking about two separate DVD drives here, and both of them will open other disks to see the files, or to play a game.
    Mike, have you tried booting from a different CD/DVD disk in the drives after your Windows 7 DVD failed to boot, such as a Windows 7 Repair Disk?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Software
    Remove both CD/DVD ROM devices in device manager, then boot into bios...
    Go back into your bios and remove both SATA DVD/CD ROM devices, boot the computer and then reset them back in the bios and try again.
    Go back into your bios and set only one of your SATA DVD/CD ROM drives as "first boot device" and try again.
    Consider a bios update flash if a newer one is available.
    Hardware
    Unplug all physical connections to the drives and their mainboard counterparts and try to boot from device again.
    Consider replacing drives older than 4-5 years.
    Tried your software suggestion - did nothing different. As far as setting only one of the optical drives as first boot device, the BIOS list does not give me that choice, it only says CDROM, among the other usual boot devices, not indicating which one it is talking about.

The other strange thing is that after I have used the F12 key and selected CDROM to boot from, the screen does say "boot from CD/DVD:" twice, like it knows there are two choices, then "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" (which I do), then boots from HDD anyhow. THEN, after it has essentially finished booting up, I hear the DVD drive start spinning.
    I even put in a 5 second delay in the BIOS for the HDD (15 sec is max), but that did not work either.

As far as flashing the BIOS, this is a pretty new MB, so that is probably not it. I am usually reluctant to do a flash anyway, having once turned at MB into an expensive piece of plastic and metal when I had a power glitch during the flash.
    Mike

Thanks
    You could try physically disconnecting one of the CD/DVD drives and see if that one act makes any kind of difference.
    Was there a time when these drives were bootable?
    When was that, and what has changed in that time?
    Like Gerald's question, have you tried other bootable disks for these drives?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.