Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have Office 2010 Professional, including Business Contact Manager on a main pc, a laptop and a netbook. This is of course all fully licensed and updated software. When I upgraded from O2k7, I first uninstalled that software, then did a clean reinstall after rebooting. Everything went just fine. Previously, it was possible to simply copy the Outlook.pst file from one pc to the other. Now, Outlook imports everything automatically, and it all went really well, I was quite pleased. So now all three pc's are O2k10, up and running. The main pc is in constant use, the other two are for travel. After a while the laptop and netbook no longer are up to date with e-mails, calendar entries, and BCM. The solution for BCM is to export the data, copy the file to the other pc's, and then import from this file. That works fine, no problems. My problem is as follows. When I try to import onto the netbook from the main pc, the only folders that are available to be imported are the Personal folders: the Inbox, Outbox Sent and Deleted folders. Apparently, the calendar information no longer falls under the category of Personal Folders, and I cannot find the option to import the Calendar.

    To make sure I was not confusing myself, I deleted all of the old mails in each folder. Then I imported again. But the Inbox shows no e-mails came across. There is no progress indicator, so I cannot see if things just went very quickly, or not at all. If I say I want to open another Outlook file, then I can see that the PST file is over 240.000 Kb in size, yet I can see nothing in the folders.

    What am I doing wrong? How do I import calendar entries? If I look in the folder on the main computer where the PST is located, I do not see any other files that I think might contain the calendar.

    Any help would be really appreciated. We go on the road in 2 weeks and I desperately need to get this solved quickly.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manning, South Carolina
    Posts
    9,433
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Maury,

    Attached is a set of instructions I wrote a couple years ago to solve this same problem. They are a little dated, i.e. things in Outlook have moved around, but the concepts are still valid. I'd rewrite them for 2010 it I had it but I don't.
    Do a little poking around in 2010 and find where these functions are now make update the instructions, do a Backup! Then have at it.

    I've been using this method of getting my .PST file off the System {C:} drive for years and it works perfectly every time. All I have to do when I'm ready to take off with my Laptop is copy the PST from the desktop to the laptop and reverse it when I return. Never loose anything! The only thing that doesn't transfer is your Email Account settings those you have to set up on each machine but how often do they change.

    Good Luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

    RG

    PowerShell & VBA Rule!

    My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the tip. I tried thinking of all the things that might be different from the past, and then I remembered something that was different. The main computer has win7 Pro, the laptop and netbook Win7 Home Premium. When I copied the PST over the network, I first had to share the folder with Everyone, Full control, so that I could see it from the other computers. But I did not check the permissions all the way through, to verify that they had worked their way on down. I verified that the PST was available qua security. Next, on the netbook I deleted the PST file. Back on the main computer, I noticed that there were two PST files, one named Outlook and the other Outlook(2).PST. To ensure no mishaps, I renamed the (2) file so that there was no way Outlook would be interested in it. I then copied the correct file via the network to the netbook. I verified that there should be no security issues, and voila! There was the complete inbox, agenda, the works. So it appears to be in some way related to the security settings, though I have never run into this before.

    On my wife's laptop - netbook the problem was quite different and easy to solve. For some unexplained reason the netbook was looking for an external diskdrive for the PST. Once I pointed Outlook in the right direct, problem resolved.

    Thanks again for the suggestion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •