New Lounger
    Thanks
    Long story short, my brother died 2 years ago, so when I came across the state to care for my 84 year old mother, I inherited my bro's computer. He left behind no PW list, administrator info, etc. (He did leave a stack of floppy disks with Windows 95 on 'em.)

Okay, my brother wrote software apps, so he had partitioned his PC with 5 drives; one for storage, others for Windows Vista, 2000, xp, etc. I've read about Partition Magic, but never really sufficiently interested to actually get it.

I just got back from dealing with a computer "techie" who combined all the bad qualities of Dumb and Dumber in one body and half a mind. My tower came right back home with me.

Okay, I want to buy XP (I installed it before without incident, then lost the install disk; yes, I've made brighter moves than this in my life), remove the partitions with PM or a comparable product, and install XP over it, reclaiming about 75 gigs of space, most of it now free.

Can this be did without the admin info?

Thanks
    Is the admin account the only area password protected?
    A clean install may do it, and you will be able to format all partitions at the time you begin your clean install.

windows xp lost password
    format and clean install XP
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    >>Is the admin account the only area password protected?

I have no idea, but knowing my bro, I would assume this is the case. Don't know if his is pw protected as I haven't attempted to impersonate him, setting up accts with Netflix, Amazon, Windows Secrets and Lounge, et al, as needed.

I've never used the admin function as only my wife and I have access to my computer (oh, the joys of living out in the woods), and one does not block the wife (birthday: Dec 9)... I've set up whatever I needed and stayed away from all other accts except where I'm using his My Documents folders and like that. There are several other accts on bro's computer, but nobody around to use 'em.

Is there some advantage, eg, security-whatever, of setting up an admin acct? Please pardon my ignorance, but my dad always said it was better to admit ignorance than give a demonstration. From the "demonstrations" I've seen, the old man was right.

As it turns out, I ran into some friends who told me a guy we know does some school's computer techie chores. Waiting on a call from him (in hopes of saving the cost of partition software), as I was nice to him way before I found out he was potentially useful to moi. Sometimes being a nice guy pays off.

But you have certainly taken a weight off my shoulders with your rapid response. Thanks tons! I really appreciate it.

Hope you have a lovely evening and get the fleur-de-lis treatment ("whatever you desire").

windows xp lost password
    format and clean install XP

Thanks
    William, reboot your late brothers PC, during start-up tap F8 key repeatedly to access 'safe mode' Now sign on as 'Administrator'. If you are able to you can delete old accounts/passwords, if not YSOOL.
    If you have to reinstall XP, you can partition how you want.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!