New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a brand new Windows 7 Dell Latitude XT2. At setup it asked for a user and password. I put in something simple. This will become a domain machine so I new the user would not last.
    After going through the basics I was at the desktop. Thinking I was being efficient, I went into Computer - Manage and reset the Administrator password to the one that our District uses as a standard. It notified me that the password was changed successfully. I then decided to go ahead and delete the user that I was using since I knew that I would have to do it eventually. It did warn me three times but since I was sure that I had the password for the Administrator account I wasn't worried. I then reboot. I am now at the login screen and I type in Administrator and the recently reset password. I am quickly told that "your account has been disabled" "see your system administrator". There is no other system administrator. What do I do now? The system did not come with an OS disk.

Thanks
    Several workaround that vary in complexity:
    Lost administrator password on windows 7 any way around it?
    lost windows 7 admin password

I am now at the login screen and I type in Administrator and the recently reset password. I am quickly told that "your account has been disabled" "see your system administrator". There is no other system administrator. What do I do now? The system did not come with an OS disk.
    This is a disaster waiting to happen, when everything is straightened out make sure you take steps to back everything up in an image and make a password reset disk. Also make yourself a Windows 7 bootable recovery disk.

If all else fails, go through your Dell tech support as they will be far more apt to help as they can verify that you are the rightful owner of the computer and not just someone looking to crack a system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually I found out what to do. At the splash screen I tapped F5 and that allowed me to go F8 and do a repair. Once the repair ran I was able to login. Really turned out to be quite simple.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rody Smith View Post
    Really turned out to be quite simple.
    Breaking it, fixing it or both ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't get in this hole but figured out if I want the administrator account in Windows 7, I have to go in and enable it first.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    On personal PCs I've gotten in the habit of adding a spare user account with a well known password that is in the administrators group. I only use it to login in an emergency such as an accidental lockout.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    On personal PCs I've gotten in the habit of adding a spare user account with a well known password that is in the administrators group. I only use it to login in an emergency such as an accidental lockout.

Joe
    I do the same thing. It is the account I use for scheduled backups or other jobs run by the task scheduler also. However, in the Corporate environment, I really like to have the Administrator account so all the techs are using the same thing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    I do the same thing. It is the account I use for scheduled backups or other jobs run by the task scheduler also. However, in the Corporate environment, I really like to have the Administrator account so all the techs are using the same thing.
    I agree in the corporate environment about have an Admin account for techs. That is usually all that is needed to regain access to a machine. On personal PCs, I only use the spare account to gain access to the PC. That way the account should never be accidentally corrupted by me "playing".

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I create two user accounts in the Administrators Group. I create two user accounts in the Power Users Group. I use passwords that are personally unforgetable; combinations of things that I've never forgotten through the years - I figured what better to use for a password; no one knows but me, and I'll never forget.

One of the Admin accounts I use for routine maintenance, the other I use only for serious troubleshooting; it keeps the profile small.

The two Power User accounts are split for personal and business.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows