New Lounger
    Thanks
    My computer was getting slow so I backed up my data and restored an image from 3 years ago. It was pre-XP Service Pack 3
    Everything is fine except that I can't re-join the company's Windows network.
    I have Internet access.
    I can search for machines, find them and access the files
    I can search for my computer from another computer and access the shared files.
    I have a mapped drive connection to the main file server
    I can reach one of the network printers.
    When I go to My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network, I can see the workgroup name
    If I click on the workgroup name, Windows takes a minute or two and then comes back and says:
    Network is not accessible, You might not have permission to use this network resource. etc.
    I turned off Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.
    I installed Network Magic and it can see all the computers, routers, access points and printers from my computer
    I power-cycled the router and switch several times
    I am running out of ideas

Windows XP Home - 32 bit Service Pack 3
    Hardwired network, router and 24 port switch
    One workgroup, no domains
    Asus Motherboard
    4 GB RAM
    Forceware IP service disabled

Thanks
    Hi Larry, welcome to the Lounge.
    Try disabling your network drive (mine has a switch on front panel of my laptop) Delete the SSID you normally connect to. Reactivate network drive, enter password when SSID shows. You must be in range of the router to succeed.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I usually think of the SSID in terms of a wireless network
    To be clear, this is a hard wired, 100 MB network using a Linksys router and a 24 port switch
    There is a mix of XP Home, XP Pro, Win 2000, Win 98 and Win 7 OSs on the network

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked at my Active Directory Domain for a computer with XP SP3 on it and I noticed the computer object does indicate the service pack level.

My theory is, if you haven't deleted the computer object in Active Directory, it might try and use the old object which says you are using SP3. Since you aren't, it won't let you join.

Given the information you provided that's the only solution which immediately springs to mind. Good luck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I should be more clear here
    The OS was fully patched before I restored
    After I restored the old image, I installed all of the XP updates including SP 3 so it should look the same.
    Finally we use a work group not a domain

Is there a way to clear out all the network settings and start again?

Thanks
    Larry, to be clear, are you able to access and share files with the entire mix of machines on the company network? Does your XP machine use the same Workgroup name as the others?

You can access the Internet with a different Workgroup name on your computer, but will have difficulty sharing files with some of the other Windows machines.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't search out every machine but I was able to reach every machine that I searched for

We only use one workgroup and it is functioning for everyone else

I have double and triple checked the workgroup name spelling

I have complete Internet access but I can't access the workgroup computers using Windows Explorer or other
    third party file managers.

I can see the 3 computer network icon under Microsoft Windows Network and it displays the correct workgroup name but if I click on it, I only get an error message
    Windows Update and various other internet based services are working (file back up, Drop Box, streaming music services, etc.)
    The Trillian messenger client can't seem to connect

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried changing the machine to a different workgroup, then back again? Might also be worth renaming the machine whilst you are at it.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes I tried changing the computer name and changing the workgroup name

I made a new workgroup called TEST and my machine connected to it immediately with no problems
    Of course I was the only member

So I changed the name back, re-booted and then couldn't connect.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you have eliminated most of the issues involving the computer, I suspect it's a problem on the corporate network that is causing this problem. On modern corporate networks when you authenticate a variety of things are checked before you are let on the network. You check out almost but not quite! So the authentication server sees everything right but a curious to it anomaly which then forces you into limited access mode on the network. Probably you are coming from the right LAN, your MAC Address is the same but now your computer name is different! That can cause an accessibility problem on corporate networks running tight security. Either change the name back to what it was on the previous install or contact your Network Administrator to get changes made to your account on the netwiork to get back the access you had before. I'll bet you're being denied your full permissions on the network because the PC name has changed! Check it out!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to access the workgroup using a different computer name but since that didn't help I then switched
    back to the original computer name. This is a simple peer to peer network with no administration apart from my business partner and myself.

Update: I couldn't get anywhere using the restored image so last Friday night, I installed XP from scratch
    Still no success so I powered down every computer on the network.
    I could join any other workgroup that I created but not one with the original name

Then I shut down every printer and the wireless access point connected to the network.
    Each time I power cycled the router and switch and also rebooted my computer
    On a whim I moved the Cat 5 cable from one switch port to another and boom I could get on the network
    This may have been the cure or perhaps it took a little time for the something else to happen.

So I stayed late, finished reinstalling all of my programs and powered up the computers on the network.
    Each one showed up on the network after it finished booting up.
    I had full network access.

Monday morning I still had all the list of shared drives showing up in Microsoft Windows Network but I couldn't
    join the work group. Moving the the Cat 5 cable to a different port had no effect.

So I switched out the router for a new Linksys 8 port model.
    I moved my Cat 5 cable from the switch to one of the switch ports built into the router.
    No effect - I still can't join the network but now as I search out a computer and the double click on it so that it shows the shared drives,
    the computer and its shared drives are added under the workgroup symbol

However when I restart the computer, those computers go away.
    I can again search each computer and Windows adds them under the workgroup
    So I can end up with a list of all computers under the work group but if I double click the workgroup symbol itself
    there is a long delay and I get the same "Network is not accessible, You might not have permission to use this network resource. etc." message

So I have almost all the functionality of the workgroup except that I have to search and click on every machine to have it listed
    in My Network Places. Again I am getting by because I have Internet access and I added the network printers and mapped the file server when I had full network access.

I suspect these problems would all go away if I changed the name of the network.