iNET Interactive
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

Finding a cure may mean looking elsewhere

By Fred Langa

Sometimes, what seems to be a networking problem is actually caused by the actions of a totally different PC subsystem.By making simple adjustments to that second system, you can often resolve the networking problem.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/11/11/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 13:53.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've run into this problem on occasion, too. My solution has usually been to manually enter the share name, instead of browsing, as in "\\computer\share\". It has always worked for me and strangely enough, the offending machine remembers the network location in the future.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In your section “ Transferring programs without reinstallation” Issue*265*• 2010-11-11, your initial line indicates from PC to PC while the actual question is “hard drive to hard drive”. Unless there is a typo, I believe you have given the wrong information. Of course, Vista may be different.

Any program, such as Seagate Wizard ( I believe this is Acronis), will move all data (including programs) from one hard drive to another. I assume that as long as the OS is the same one, this should take care of the problem. Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Handfield View Post
    In your section " Transferring programs without reinstallation" Issue 265 • 2010-11-11, your initial line indicates from PC to PC while the actual question is "hard drive to hard drive". Unless there is a typo, I believe you have given the wrong information. Of course, Vista may be different.

Any program, such as Seagate Wizard ( I believe this is Acronis), will move all data (including programs) from one hard drive to another. I assume that as long as the OS is the same one, this should take care of the problem. Am I missing something?
    Welcome to The Lounge, Marc!

Langa's advice does indeed seem to refer to moving stuff from one PC to a dissimilar PC.

Your information is for cloning from one hard drive to another for use on similar hardware.

Both kinds of information are useful. Thank you for adding your information.
    -- Bob Primak --