Thread: Chkdsk

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran chkdsk with the options to automatically fix file system errors and to scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checked. When the check finished the final message flashed on and off the screen too fast for me to read. Where in the system will I find the log of chdsk results?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint,

Sincere thanks for your quick reply.

I read the log file and the only item of note was a reference to 4KB in bad sectors. Is this something to worry about, and if so what can I do about it?

Your further help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is nothing to be concerned about - chkdsk will have marked the bad sectors as unusable, and any data they might have contained will have been moved to other sectors. Also, modern disk drives tend to automatically check for bad sectors and mark them as unusable - I think I saw some documentation on Seagate's web site on this. If you are really concerned about disk drive health get an app that can access S.M.A.R.T. data provided by the drive (SpeedFan is one that comes to mind). If you have any Seagate drives, you can get the SeaTools utility from Seagate - it will display the S.M.A.R.T data and run various diagnostics on all of your drives. I usually run the diagnostics once a month.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Peter,

Thanks for your comments, which are very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You may have nothing to worry about but you better have a good backup of your system. If it were me I'd run chkdsk regularly on a drive that reported bad sectors. If more are repaired in the near future you should prepare to replace the drive.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

I agree entirely. I will shortly replace the drive. Meantime I have a system image, which I will replace with an updated version, and good backups of my other drives.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread