Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In PowerPoint 2007, I modified the footer on the master, but that footer wasn't replicating through all the footers. I put the footer on all the masters, but somehow those all became editable on the presentation slides themselves -- not just in the slide master pages.

Then I deleted both the date and footer placeholders on the master and added them again, thinking these would replicate. They didn't, and the "footer" was actually showing up at the top left of the presentation slides. That was NOT editable, though.

Then I deleted the placeholders again and everything was gone. Now, when I add a footer or date placeholder on the master, it only shows up on that one master slide and doesn't appear on the presentation slides OR show up on the presentation slides based on that master.

So.....

What could make a footer put on one slide of a master not replicate to the other master pages?

Why would a footer on a master page not appear on the presentation slides? (I've tried changing the font and coloring the box so I wouldn't miss anything.)

(I've also populated info on the Insert menu, in the "Header & Footer" box.)

What am I missing? What can I try?
    Thanks - - - Sher

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, answering my own post. (Sorry I had to go look elsewhere but since this site isn't Woody's anymore, it doesn't seem to get much traffic.)

Apparently MS changed philosopies between 2003 and 2007 as far as footer/slide #s go. Where in 2003 you could put in a "footer" or "slide #" box on the master and that would only be selectable/editable on the master, in 2007, that's not true and anything you put in a footer is reachable on each slide itself.

The solution is pretty simple. To get the same functionality in 2007 that you had in 2003, don't use what MS calls "footer" or "slide #." Instead, just put a text box for that info on the main master slide (the slightly larger one at the very top). Those text boxes will flow down to all other master slide and will show up on the presentation slides without being editable/moveable there. Whew!

Only problem is that the selection to have the info NOT appear on the title slide is missing, so whatever is in the footer will appear on the title slide. Small price to pay, and glad I'm not losing my mind. Wish there had been something about this in the help files.
    Thanks - - - Sher

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Working with this problem in PowerPoint 2010, I have found that turning the header/footer off and on, deletes the old info and adds the new. If I do it from withing the master slide view, it does the same for the master. I have one or two files that I had to change each master slide, but I have not tracked why the overall master slide changes did not work for the others.

View-masterslides
    insert-header & footer (tick the boxes to turn the footer &/or slide numbers off)
    insert-header & footer (tick the boxes to turn the footer &/or slide numbers back on)
    make changes in footer

For some reason, I also experienced merged shows having double footers/numbers. To address this I did simlar:
    View-normal
    insert-header & footer (tick the boxes to turn the footer &/or slide numbers off)
    delete extra footers/numbers
    insert-header & footer (tick the boxes to turn the footer &/or slide numbers back on)

This cleared the deck so to speak.

Best,

Thaijay