Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went to the Secunia site (secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online), as I do now and then,
    but right away I encountered a warning (I uploaded a screen image here). It said that the publisher
    could not be verified by a trusted source. The code would be treated as unsigned. Name: JavaVersion.
    That PKIX path validation failed. And, "Must specify the location of an OCSP Responder.
    My own Java is the latest. And, if I stay at Secunia I get more warnings of this kind. Can someone please
    shed some light on what is going on? I hope this is just something temporarily wrong with the site.
    (It's now just past noon, Nov 10, MT)
    PS: I updated Flash this morning, to 10.1. I wonder if that's related.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yerubal View Post
    Can someone please
    shed some light on what is going on? I hope this is just something temporarily wrong with the site.
    (It's now just past noon, Nov 10, MT)
    PS: I updated Flash this morning, to 10.1. I wonder if that's related.
    yerubal,
    Hello.. Just tried all the Secunia links with my browser FireFox, and download "PSI" ....no problems .. and also had previously installed the latest "Flash" I'm using Norton Internet Security 2011 . and don't use "Java" .. Seems that somethings up with Java or your security. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Same here, not finding any problems on Secunia's site, at least at this time.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for checking for me. I'm still getting the same result (XPH, VIPRE AV/Firewall, Flash 10.1.102.64).
    But on a computer with the same specs, I don't run into any trouble.
    I looked at Control Panel's add/remove programs, and I see Java 6 Updt 22, but also Java 6 Updt 7. So,
    I tried to remove Updt 7, and got some guff, with the final result being that Updt 7 keeps showing
    in the add/remove list, but with no size (and if I ask for removal, it complains that it can't find
    the installation msi. I searched for same and it isn't anywhere.)
    I notice that in Firefox, the extensions list includes lots of "Java Console" versions.
    Also, though, I notice that if I go to the Secunia site in Google Chrome, I get the same warnings.
    So, at this point I'm stumped.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Stumbling around in the dark: I just went to Java, in Control Panel, and looked at the certificates.
    There are a number of them, including four labeled Secunia, of which three have expired time intervals.
    I wonder whether that could be causing the problem, and if there's any harm done in removing them.
    I don't understand these things.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I decided to just click on OK when the warning box (see original post in this thread). I might have had to do this twice.
    Anyhow, it worked, and it will be interesting to see if next time I use (the online) Secunia inspector, I run into this again,
    or not. I might also start using the downloaded version (as Fred does, see earlier in this thread, the PSI instead of
    the online OSI), as it seems to have a more flexible and informative character. Again, thanks!
    EDIT: FYI: -- The very next time I go to this Secunia site, I have to click OK on this warning again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

For security purposes, it is best to have ONLY 1 Java "Version/Update"
    ( focusing on the "Update" since each Java "Update" is actually a
    complete "version" in and of itself ), so that "Update 7" should be
    removed . If you continue to have problem getting rid of "it", then I
    recommend you try the FREE "JavaRa", available at
    http://raproducts.org .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the JavaRa recommendation. I've used it before, and it's a great program. Naturally,
    while going nuts recently in honor of this thread's featured problem (sigh), I forgot about it.
    Again, thanks.
    EDIT: I used JavaRa to do cleanup, and I'm glad I did, though the phenomenon persists.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

Since the problem continues, I suspect it MAY be connected with your
    VIPRE AV and/or Firewall and recommend you contact their Support
    Forums at http://supportforums.sunbeltsoftware.com . PERHAPS
    they have telephone Support at 877-673-1153 !?
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do note that, as I mentioned, a PC with the same VIPRE setup (among other things) had no problems.
    I didn't mention that I shut off the VIPRE (AV and firewall) and had the same problem show up.
    I know that's not an "acid test", but it suggests to me that the answer is as likely to be elsewhere.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Do note that, as I mentioned, a PC with the same VIPRE setup (among other things) had no problems.
    I didn't mention that I shut off the VIPRE (AV and firewall) and had the same problem show up.
    I know that's not an "acid test", but it suggests to me that the answer is as likely to be elsewhere.
    yerubal,
    Hello... Might try this .... download and install this "Everything" http://www.voidtools.com/ and configure ( when installing ) to check only your C: drive... Type in "Java" The program will show all where "Java " may be hiding ....so you can delete old versions ... That's what i think is the problem could be. Regards Fred

PS: be careful some programs that you might have use "Java" ..just look for old versions (check dates)
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also use VIPRE AV and have no problems accessing the Secunia web sites.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The JavaRa that I used almost certainly removed all the old versions. It removed an enormous amount of stuff.
    I'm just not inclined to scrape beyond what JavaRa did, as it's specifically designed to do this job.
    My hunch is that the problem is specifically with my Java certificates. But, I think I'm going to simply OK stuff
    when I go onto the Secunia site for those online scans, on this PC.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The JavaRa that I used almost certainly removed all the old versions. It removed an enormous amount of stuff.
    I'm just not inclined to scrape beyond what JavaRa did, as it's specifically designed to do this job.
    My hunch is that the problem is specifically with my Java certificates. But, I think I'm going to simply OK stuff
    when I go onto the Secunia site for those online scans, on this PC.
    yerubal,
    Hello... I have ..(a long while ago) when i used "Java" run the "Ra" program and it did not totally remove all the "bits" Keep in mind that even if you remove all of "Java" ...and something (some program ) crashes ...you can always re-install it, if needed. As i no longer use any programs that use Java, i had long ago removed it along with "Secunia" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, thanks. I will keep that in mind, though "Ra" has had time to get good at getting the old stuff, I would think.
    I'm reminded of my ugly sequence of encounters with Norton. What stands out is that, after I'd uninstalled it,
    and then used their specialized uninstall program, and months had passed. I was shocked at seeing a process
    running (according to the Task Manager), and I looked through the registry and removed many Norton or rather
    Symantec items (using an editor). Normally, I would have rebooted before checking again. But, I was so upset
    that I checked and removed once or twice more first. And, then, Windows wouldn't boot, and I had to fix it.
    Ah, memories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast