New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm transferring all my LP records to wav files for burning to audio CDs and for direct play from the computer. Windows has a ton of tags available for audio files, but I can't seem to find the ones which will display when (a) playing a burned CD on a non-computer CD player, and (b) playing wav files directly using Windows Media Player or other media player. I use wav files rather than mp3 for higher quality sound, but the problem seems to lie in the tags-to-CD and tags-to-player transfer rather than in the file type.

Is there a magic list of tags somewhere which will provide the following information for diplay while a track is playing?

- composer
    - artist
    - orchestra/band
    - album title
    - album ID
    - album year
    - album genre
    - track title
    - track length

Thank you!

Thanks
    I'm guessing that the tag information would be highly dependent on what method you used to transfer and convert your LP's over to WAV/MP3s.
    The programs EAC & LAME, that I'm most familiar with, offer this ability to get the kind of detail for which you have listed above.
    So if your method of extraction and conversion doesn't offer any means of retrieving detailed information, your not going to get anything that
    the operating system is going to identify as tags, ...with the exception of maybe a time and date stamp.

What is your method of extraction and conversion?
    Look for detailed properties within the ripping program you use that offer the ability to retrieve detailed tag information.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint.

Since I'm starting from LPs (vinyl records), there is no original tag information. I'm having to create it by hand, and your reply would indicate that Windows tag fields are not the ones to use.

The next logical question: is there a good, inexpensive editor out there which allows me to edit the tags internal to the WAV audio file so they show up when playing the file directly and from a CD to which the file is burned?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try Media Monkey. I use it for everything audio, organizing, tagging, etc. The tags BTW are not from Windows, but standard metadata sets for digital audio. Windows just makes use of them as any other audio software does. I also rip vinyl records. I'm using Audacity for capturing the audio and creating .wav files. Part of the process involves naming the tracks. I name them with the song titles. Then I tag them in Media Monkey with the album name and artist. Just the basics. When I convert them into .mp3 using Media Monkey, I select "Tag from Web". Media Monkey takes the song names and artist and looks for a match from several different sites. This provides more accurate tagging, things like genre, release dates, etc. (the things in your list) and also downloads a copy of the album cover (if you choose that option).

Media Monkey is free. However, there is a limit to the number of times you can encode .mp3s. The cost for the full version is $20, which gives you unlimited encoding, and free updates within the current version, or $40 for lifetime updates. You can however replace their lame.exe encoder with a free open source one. They have instructions on how to do it. But that doesn't open up any of the extra features that go with the paid version.

Audacity is open source and is free. But maybe you are already using it.

As far as this info showing up on a CD, that depends on how you burned it. If its a CD for playing in any CD player, then the tags will not be burned to the CD with the music. They will however show up if you play it on a computer. Media Monkey automatically goes out and downloads the metadata every time you drop in a CD. If you burn the CDs with .mp3s or another format that can only be played by specific players, then yes, the meta data will be available to the software that's used to decode the disk.

I hope all that makes some sense.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Chuck. I do use Audacity, and I'll give Media Monkey a try. It'll be a few weeks before I get my system set up again due to a move, but I'll try to get back with an update on how your recommendations play out.