2 Star Lounger
    Rye, Victoria, Australia
    Hello, again, Colleagues All,
    No doubt you are saying "A 30-odd year career in IT and this guy still can't deal with trivial problems in Windows!". Well, a Unix box with an IBM database and a thousand users is not quite the same, so here I am with another question for you clever people. The Windows 7 OS on my brand-new HP computer started behaving very oddly on shutdown and would not start when turned on the next day. After a longish pause (black screen - not blue), the Startup Repair tool ran automatically. After a while, a box came up asking whether I wanted to continue checking, or would I settle for recovery from a previous saved version. I opted for the former and the little blue box has been rushing backwords and forwards for more than four hours. Is this normal, or has it got stuck in an endless loop? The installed disk has 500 Gbytes capacity, of which about 40 Gbytes have been used. An external hard disk (Western Digital), also of 500 Gbytes capacity is attached. It likewise has about 40 Gbytes of data on it.
    I tried to cancel the run and opt for the retrieval of the older version, but I got a message saying that cancellation at this point was not allowed. I got the same message when clicking on the Close button.
    Can anyone please advise me where should I go from here ?

California & Arizona
    I find it doesn't really matter how long one has been fuddling with computers, there is always something that will manage to stump one.

It may be possible that the boot repair option has invoked the checkdisk command in it's "scan and repair faulty sectors" mode. (long version with the "R" switch)
    That may be the reason why it's taking such a long time, but if this is so then 4 hrs isn't really enough time for 500 GBs. It would, I presume, take alot longer.

If you have managed to stop it, try booting with the Windows 7 DVD or bootdisk, and envoke a checkdisk with just the "F" switch from the bootable command prompt.
    Then after you are in the os, see if you can examine and make sense of the chdsk log in the event viewer.

Go to Start > Run and type: eventvwr.msc /s , and hit enter.
    When Event Viewer opens, click on "Application", then scroll
    down to "Wininit" and double-click on it.
    You may also examine the drives S.M.A.R.T data/info, but I doubt it would provide anything useful unless the drive was overtly faulty.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.