New Lounger
    Thanks

Question

W7 Pro installed & worked fine for months. The CD/DVD not has error message "cant load the software error 39". Have tried uninstalling, changing cables etc. Even bought new sata dvd drive, this is not detected so have removed. DVD drive works fine under under bootup, it can detect windows. It is an old system but it has been working fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    When you say you changed cables, is this both data cable and power cable? This almost sounds like a hardware failure. Perhaps the controller on the MB. Have you checked in Device Manager for any issues in addition to the DVD? Perhaps a controller driver is corrupt.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes changed data & the power connection. When the dvd is uninstalled from W7 & then reinstalled either straight away or after a reboot the hardware is installed but finally comes up with the same result code 39, driver corrupt. Have tried searching for another driver without success. DVD is: HL-DT-ST DRDRAM GSA-4040B ATA Device. This is an LG unit who don't seem to have any updates for it hence why I changed to a new unit. I though it would be a good idea to go sata as I had a spare port but it would appear the Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra wont support it as it is not recognized @ all. How can I change the controller driver? In device manager it says every time that the correct driver for the cd is installed even though the unit is disabled & not visible in W7.

Thanks
    Hi Phil, check out this link in regards to repair of the condition you are experiencing. Please note the warning to backup your Registry before making any changes. As the link describes, if you find Upperfilters and Lowerfilters parameters associated with the registry key listed, then both of the filters should be removed. I have Windows 7 64 bit installed and that registry key does not have any Upperfilters or Lowerfilters values associated with it. This problem also can occur in the use of USB thumb and hard disk drives, but those involve different registry keys.

See this Windows SevenForums article for details on how to backup your Registry.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    That was a great find Gerald, worth a Thumbs Up. Thanks for the info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald & Ted.
    Many thanks for the info, my problem has now been successfully resolved. What I don't understand is why it worked for months & then played up? Why did the registry change to cause it?

Thanks
    I do not even think that Bill Gates himself can answer all the quirks in Windows. Quite often these are caused by small campatibilities that crop up as we change, add or update our apps. Who knows! Glad Gerald's suggestion solved the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted