New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use (and like) Outlook as a personal email client, with local PST files. It's set up to hit my ISP via POP. When I'm home, this is fine. When I'm at my second home, this is fine - I have multiple profiles set up with settings specific to each ISP.

When I travel, I am sometimes not able to send email, with a message of "Server does not allow relay traffic" message. I can understand why, as "foreign" servers don't want to be hijacked by email spammers.

I can sometimes solve this by getting the server outgoing POP settings (POP address, username, password), but not always.

Is there another way of handling this so that I can send email from anywhere?

I am currently using a local ISP. However, I am open to allowing someone else (GoDaddy specifically) to host the email (or even to use a different protocol, i.e., IMAP) if that solves it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irv Rollman View Post
    When I travel, I am sometimes not able to send email, with a message of "Server does not allow relay traffic" message. I can understand why, as "foreign" servers don't want to be hijacked by email spammers.

I can sometimes solve this by getting the server outgoing POP settings (POP address, username, password), but not always.

There is no surfire method. A different mail hoster may be the anwser. Every reputable vendor is trying combat the deluge of spam. You need to check with any potential mail hoster to see what they allow as far as sending while away from your home.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Irv Rollman View Post

Most ISPs allow you to relay through their SMTP server if you authenticate, and Outlook has dialogs to support this feature. Most ISPs also allow SSL (or TLS) connections, which improves privacy when you are traveling and using potentially untrusted networks. If your ISP does not offer these options, you might be able to use a GMail account as your outgoing server.