Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way other than PST files to store email data locally? I know I can push data to an Access database, but this does not capture attachments. Is there a way to push data that would also capture attachments?

Thanks
    Richard

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can save individual emails. That can be very tedious. What are you trying to accomplish?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Our Outlook administrators, in all their infinite wisdom, have seen fit to turn off PST files. I am looking for a replacement. What they have given us as a replacement does not meet my needs.
    Richard

Thanks
    Saving in Outlook's MSG format will give you maximum fidelity to the original. Of course, they are only readable using Outlook, but that might be sufficient. Where you store them really is up to you. Perhaps you can automate the saving of a large number of messages? One thing that would be useful is to develop a convention for file naming, since Subject lines may include characters that would be illegal in file names, and also tend to be the same from one message to the next (e.g., re:budget meeting), so there is a risk of overwriting previously saved files.

It's certainly possible to save the message in its native format (txt, html, rtf), but as you note, you may lose attachments. You could strip those and manage them separately, but it may well be more work than it's worth.

Another possibility, possibly banned by IT, is to drag the messages to a folder in IMAP account (such as GMail) that you have set up as a separate account in Outlook. I think this preserves everything, but haven't tested it.

Last but not least, you could print the email and its attachments to PDF if you will never need to reply or edit. pdfFactory conveniently lets you print multiple jobs to a buffer that can be saved as a single PDF. With other tools, you may need to manage multiple files.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Related to JScher2000's suggestion to save files as *.msg, you will find some sample code in the Forum in threads [topic=714142]714142[/topic] and [topic=285598]285598[/topic].
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    PST files are the bane of a network managers life. I'm not surprised they are turned off.
    I would talk to your IT bods to see if the replacement can be improved - BTW, what is the replacement?

cheers, Paul

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, I think the OP's IT admin are forcing their users to keep everything on the Exchange server - there is no replacement.
    UTC -7ąDS

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Keeping email on Exchange is a very good method as long as you have the right Exchange version (lots of money) and plenty of space. Then all you need is a decent search client in Outlook.
    Maybe they are keeping all data in Exchange so they can upgrade to 2010 and use the archiving in Exchange?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PST files are being replaced withsomething called eVaults. Managed folders that are part of the the Mailbox.
    Richard

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    My guess, and it's only a guess, is that you keep all items on Outlook Exchange Server, and the Server and Server data will be maintained in EVault: http://www.i365.com/export/sites/www...nge-plugin.pdf

I had not heard of EVault before, thanks.
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    Or maybe eVault = Symantec Enterprise Vault?

I personally think a centralized archive which is accessible through Outlook or Outlook Web Access would have many advantages over having to archive manually to PSTs. If only it were inexpensive, I could actually try it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    There's no 30 day free evaluation?
    UTC -7ąDS

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If it's Enterprise Vault then you should welcome the end of PSTs. EV has a great search engine and finding those old emails is a breeze, even if you accidentally deleted them.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Copying the MSG file seems to be working. My issues with the Enterprise Vault is the size limits imposed by our administrators.

Thanks to all for your help.
    Richard

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The whole point of EV is to free users from size limits in Exchange. Why spend that sort of money and then limit what users can keep?

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast