2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 7 - 64bit with a 1TB Hitachi SATA HD. I have installed a second drive identical to the first. I went to RUN and typed FORMAT D - Nothing. I typed FORMAT D: - still nothing. How do I format the second drive so my computer will recognize it? I am beginning to wonder if the newer drive is dead?

Thanks
    Have you checked in Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management to see if the drive shows up? You may have to partition the drive.

If it is already partitioned, you can right click the volume and select format. You can assign a drive letter to it if it does not have one. Just right click the appropriate drive under 'Volume' and select Change drive letter and paths. Just be sure you select the correct drive.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    With a new drive you have to first go into Disk Management. The new drive will show up as raw or unallocated space. Right-click the drive in Disk Management and select Format from there - it will ask for a drive letter. For a new disk drive I recommend doing a full format (not a quick format). Once the formatting is done, the drive letter should show up in Explorer.

Thanks
    The easiest way to get to disk management in my opinion is to type Disk Management in the search box, then choose Create and format hard disk partitions. This will open the Disk Management console. I agree with both Gerald and Peter that you first have to ensure the HD is actually seen by the disk manager then format it from there. Once formated, you can set it as Logical by right clicking and choosing such.In addition to setting a Drive Letter you can specify a name. Choose something that will be descriptive for future reference.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks fellows for the help. Windows 7 is a little bit different than XP. Right now I am about 56% through the formatting process.

Ray