New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Win 7 Home Premium until about a week ago. It went haywire and has resisted all efforts to be resusicitated. I suspect a bad hard drive because a check disk found about 15 or so bad sectors. I have a new hard drive coming, due to arrive today. I have a backup on CDs that was made with Acronis True Image.
    Now my question is: After I install Win 7 on the new drive will it be possible to selectively install apps, documents and photos from the backup CDs? Will I need to install the True Image software before trying to run the backups?
    Another closely related question: These backup CDs are 10 months old so much has changed since they were made. I'm hoping I can put my old drive in an enclosure and connect it as an external, then transfer much of my stuff from it, but I have never tried such a thing and know few details of how to do it. Can one just drag and drop entire folders from old drive to new?
    Thanks for any and all useful advice.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If they are indeed backup CD's then most likely will have to install Acronis first to open the images. Slaving the drive in is no problem just set jumpers to be slave and connect with power off of course.

Possibly problem comes when you try to access files on other drive that are owned by someone else.
    You may have to use these command to change attributes and do this from an Admin command prompt so you can see what it say's

say you slave it in and it appears as E
    Paste each of these commads in the prompt
    takeown /f E:\
    echo y| icacls E:\ /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F /T
    attrib -R -A -S -H E:\ /s

if the *S-1-5-32-544:F /T don't work use instead Administrators:F /T
    S-1-5-32-544 is supposed to be Administrators in any language

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Easy way to take ownership of files is by using this registry fix:
    Mhttp://www.howtogeek.com/downloads/TakeOwnership.zipy link

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Monroe View Post
    Easy way to take ownership of files is by using this registry fix:
    Mhttp://www.howtogeek.com/downloads/TakeOwnership.zipy link
    don't work for entire drives, been there done that, gained title of Hacker from Heck when I gained access and recovered years of a buisness data files. Easiest $500 I ever made

Edit: and btw that does the administrators:F" where a different language that name is quite obviously spelled different
    http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/take-ownershipreg
    best to use the administrators:F spelled in your own language
    English = Administrators
    French = Administrateurs

Thanks
    You made a Recovery media with ATI didn't you. If so put it in the DVD drive and boot to it, then use it to restore your image. If you only have one optical drive, I'm unsure how this will work. That's why I use an ext USB HD to store images on. Then I can leave the True Image disk in the optical drive while I connect the Ext HD. If you have an original ATI installation disk this will also work instead of the Recovery Disk I mentioned.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy