Thread: Update Failure

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been trying to install KB890830 for days now, and it always fails. I'm running Win7 64-bit OS. Anyone else having this problem? Any solution?

Thanks,

Will

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    64 here also and it ran. Strange

Thanks
    What antivirus software are you using? You may want to temporarily disable it or run a full scan prior to installing KB890830 (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I had the same problem on a Win7 64 bit machine. KB890830 failed five times. I finally traced it to the Windows Installer Service. It had stopped after the previous two updates. After starting it back up, the update finally succeeded. Scanned with MSE and Malwarebytes Antimalware, and found everything clean. Windows Installer service has not failed since.

Also, as another alternative to update problems, check out this SevenForums tutorial for resetting Windows Update in Windows 7.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Check C:\windows\windowsupdate.log and c:\users\your user name\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\windowsupdate .log for error entries. Then check:
    Windows Update Troubleshooter for help.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions, even though none of them solved my problem. ;-)

For some mysterious reason, it installed today.

Cheers,

Will

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    That update seems to fail often on 64-bit machines. You can usually get it to install if you manually delete MRT.exe in C:\Windows\System32 and then re-run Windows Update.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of other things you can try if this happens again (and I've had a lot of these "mysterious" failed patches) is to restart the Windows Update service, and restart or verify that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running. If all else fails, you can select the option to help you troubleshoot the issue and you will usually find a link to manually download a patch and install it. Most times I've seen patches fail its due to network latency. At home I've been most successful running Windows update in the morning, before 7:00 am CST. I've run into the most trouble at work in the mid-afternoon and early evenings when patching servers and my personal workstation.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Having spent at least 2 weeks trying to resolve this issue I am pleased to report that it is now fixed.

I went to the SevenForums Tutorial link as recommended by Gerald Shepard earlier, I downloaded the Batchfile in option 1 and followed the instructions for installing it. My Windows update is now fixed, thank you Gerald, frustrations over

Thanks
    Your welcome, Don. Glad it worked for you. Thanks for posting back. There are several good solutions posted in this thread to resolve this update problem. Some are effective in certain situations, and some are effective in others. At least now we have several viable options to try when we see more update problems in the future.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill