Thread: Too Many Fonts!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I remember cautions in previous OSs about having too many fonts: consumes resources, slows down starting Windows, etc. Is that still true in Windows 7?

I've got literally hundreds of fonts, only about a half dozen of which have I added myself.

I told Windows to hide all non-English language fonts, but those still all show up in the font drop-down lists for some applications (like WordPerfect X4).

Then I manually told Windows to hide all the remaining ones I'll never use (Boopee, Bradley Hand, Mongolian Baiti, Vijaya, Vrinda ... well over a hundred) But those all still show up in drop-down lists, not just in WordPerfect but in MS Office applications as well.

Question 1: are all these fonts slowing me down? How much space do they consume on my hard drive? If either of those is a significant issue, how do I delete them instead of just hiding them?

Question 2: What do I have to do to make the fonts I've told Windows to hide actually be hidden?
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it only slows a system down at boot and application loading/startup, when the system or application has to actually check or load the index of fonts available. I'll see Photoshop pause for a significant period at the loading fonts... stage, but once its loaded up there doesn't seem to be any problem with having a lot of fonts (several hundred) but I suppose it could get out of hand; like some of my photo folders have over 10,000 pics in them and it takes quite a while (seems like a minute or maybe even more) for any program to go through that data base and startup.

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Deleting fonts is not always wise because:

1) you may need them to read something or

2) you are a creative type and use lots of fancy fonts.

The way around bloating the system font folder is to move the unwanted fonts to another folder. This is a good practice because a stuffed folder will slow down the system. I have seen people with over 500 fonts in the folder and the lag times when opening an app were horrendous.

This Win article expalins the steps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/115910

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With Windows 7 the fonts do not get loaded like they did in earlier versions. They are ONLY loaded when a program needs them and the users asks for the listing. The earlier versions of Windows the fonts were loaded so ALL programs if they used them or not had access to all of them. This in turn drove the over head sky high and used up most of that 64 K that was very limited.

I have not noticed any slowing down of my programs even when getting the listing of fonts to change to something different.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The applicable software, Win 3.x, Win for Workgroups 3.x, etc., has long since gone to software heaven. Linking to it will confuse the issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many fonts are not deletable, mostly those with "strange" brush-strokes and some which are "dead", ie, not used anymore anywhere on this planet. Some seem to be put in for political correctness, such as Cherokee symbolics. But Windows will not allow you to delete them. Since I live outside the US (Canada), I am using the "international" version, probably because of Canadian French grammar, and thus even MS Office 2010 does not hide these fonts by default even.

I'll be trying the Font Settings function which terminology actually means nothing to me even though I've used Office for decade or two to edit major multipage documents. This is one of my big complaints about each new version of Windows since XP - the terminology and location of it has been obfuscated - ie, Customization is now Personalization - and commands I used to use regularly are many levels down and menus or ribbons cannot be "personalised". To me, the ribbon is a mess and users must do what MS wants rather than what they want, ie, "added" commands must go in a specially added "custom" section which is placed where MS wants it, not where the user might want it. And the default ribbon is fixed I think (can't find if there is a choice). The size of the ribbon cannot be changed either. I've always wondered why, when I select US English as my choice, I still am classed as an international user by my location (Canada). I do not want to use US as a location because I have some pride in my country.

Thanks
    There's a useful article and BATch file about How to remove Windows 7 non-Latin fonts which I've modified quite a lot and used some time ago. If anyone is interested, I'll post it (with the usual disclaimers...!).
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...