2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not really an IE problem - but this is the closest area -
    We have a complex internet timing problem. The details follow, but before you get lost in all that, what I am mostly seeking is advice on tool availability. We have used tracert to determine the delays in the hops from the user to the site, and this shows no problems. However tracert only shows what goes on during the initial attempts to find the route to the site, and that is not where the problem is. It is subsequent requests to the site that are very slow in responding, around 25 to 30 seconds. Is there a tool that can detect where time is lost during these subsequent commands to the site? Any other comments are of course welcome.

The problem facts.
    1. The site www.ccga01.org exists on a dreamhost site. It also exists same php code, same content, on a mirror site.
    2. No one has any problem with delays on the mirror site.
    3. That we know about, only two people (A and B) out of at least 30 are getting delays on the dreamhost version of the site.
    4. A has a local network with three pcs on it, one vista (256 bit encryption) and two XP (128 bit encryption). All three see the delay.
    5. A and B have different router / modem setups. A has lyncsys N router model wrt610nv1 and a d link model dva-g3810bn/tl modem. B has a direct connection to a different modem.
    6. A and B both have Telus as their ISP, but so do people with no problem. All the people involved are in a small geographical area and the Telus people have a common physical location for the ISP servers.
    7. A does not have a problem with other dreamhost sites. (I dont know about B).
    8. A is normally running Internet Explorer 8, as are others with no problem.
    9. A has the same problem using FireFox.
    10. C has no problem with IE8, Firefox or Opera on three networked XP pcs on telus
    11. A and C both use Avira anti virus on (at least) one pc each. A changed to the MS av on one pc with no effect on the problem.
    12. A disabled the software firewall on one pc without any benefit.

Thanks
    One thing to try early in the process is to clear the cache/temporary internet files for the site, and delete cookies for the site.

Quote Originally Posted by petermat View Post
    However tracert only shows what goes on during the initial attempts to find the route to the site, and that is not where the problem is. It is subsequent requests to the site that are very slow in responding, around 25 to 30 seconds. Is there a tool that can detect where time is lost during these subsequent commands to the site?
    It has been a long time since I studied routing, but I don't think there is any tool that can reconstruct the time between hops on an incoming packet because that information is not stored in the packet. Am I wrong about that?

If A does not already have the Firebug extension, that might be useful. Its "Net" tab shows the time required to get the response to each request. This might highlight a particular file on the site or a request to an external site that is causing a problem.

Other random thoughts: check the hosts file for any unhelpful redirects; is SSL a variable?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I got firebug running on my system, I will see what happens on "A"s system. Also I will get A to send me their "hosts" file, and do the cache / cookies thing.

But I don't understand "is SSL a variable" - could you please explain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petermat View Post
    I don't understand "is SSL a variable" - could you please explain.
    Sorry, is it a secure site, are HTTPS connections potentially a factor? There might be configuration issues around cached certificates, differences in revocation checking, etc., that add to the complexity.