Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello and Yeah ! for Windows Seven.

I have a Vista machine that was upgraded to W-7, not one problem at all. Acer desktop M 1610.

This upgrade left a Recovery partition in front of the C:\ of roughly 45 G out of a 250 G HD, a partiton D:\ has 65 G. The upgrade partiton was useless as I never intended to revert to Vista. I used Gparted to move the C:\ to the left and use that spare space. It obviously crunged the MBR, no sweat, I thought. I fully intended to go to a command prompt and enter the fix mbr input. The Win-7 DVD was inserted and it carried out on its own the MBR thing, I was left totally unaware of when it did it but it did. It showed many lines of checking process on all the files and sectors and after a short while I am back in operation.

As I mentioned above . . . Yeah ! for Windows Se7en. I now have the full 185 G for C:\ and D:\ is still happy with its 65 G. Kid's play !

Thanks
    Couldn't you have done all that within Windows 7?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad you had such a good experience with moving things around and still getting them to work.

I've basicly performed the same procedure occasionally on many a XP system, and even though one thinks they know what they're doing; still got the fingers crossed that everything will be ok after messing with the partitions and moving data around. Of course XP isn't as dainty as Vista or 7, so there's never been a need for a startup repair to get it going again; it just boots up like nothing ever happened; but that's a topic for another discussion.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Couldn't you have done all that within Windows 7?
    Not with the native tools (Recovery partition in front of the C:\), would have to use third party software that ran in 7 and changed things in a protected mode on boot, but even then, I would personally be a bit uncomforable with something like that...seems potentiall like more could go wrong.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Batcher, hello. You wrote : Couldn't you have done all that within Windows 7?

I think not as the intervention was on the C:\ and none of this is allowed in Windows, it holds the MBR and the booting. It had to be done using a non-Windows app, I think that it is then done from RAM.. Gparted is a touchy app to use for newbie but if one is careful, it does the trick. It needed 2 :48 hrs to move all the stuff over the Recovery partition. As I wrote, the MBR was not properly moved, I expected this and I was ready to do the "fix mbr" thingee but Win-7 spoiled my fun.

If you can do this from inside any Windows, do let me know, I am willing to learn.

Jean.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    I used Gparted to move the C:\ to the left and use that spare space.
    Jean,
    Hello... Gparted is a good partition manager ( boot disk type from sourceforge ) and for those who are not familiar with it it can be had for free from here http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php Glad to hear that it worked well for you, and should be part of everyone's "tool kit" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, hello.

Do you think that it could have been done inside Windows as Batcher mentioned ? I think not as it is on the boot drive and Windows does not let any shenanigan to take place there. EG: I have an XP machine that somehow elected to name the boot drive one day when I was fooling with it, to G:\ and there is no way that I can make it C:\ unless you tell me how I could.

Have a great evening.

Jean.

Edit: two typoes.

Thanks
    Jean, No! Windows 7 Disk Manager will recover space behind the OS, but not in front of the OS on the disk. Fir that a 3rd party app is needed. I used Partition Wizard free home edition for this purpose. You could have inserted the Win 7 disk, and run a Repair Install as well to fix the MBR. Because your Vista had been installed first, it help the MBR which had to be rebuilt when you said bye to Vista. Fortunately there is a ton of info on the net on this problem, along with several threads in these forums for those just getting to this proble. If you are one of those people just starting the process Jean just finished, read up on the process before starting it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you think that it could have been done inside Windows as Batcher mentioned ?
    Jean,
    Hello... Any time that i "fooled" moving partitions that had anything to do with C: always required a re-boot.. Did not matter if i was using Acronis , or any of the other "Tools" However i have moved things from within windows ...as long as they were not part of the "OS ". So to answer your question as far as i can tell you could move \ delete, a partition as long as it is not part of C: If then you were to add the new space to C: I'm pretty sure it would require a re-boot. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted a cool morning to you, it is 30° F here today.

(Quote ) Because your Vista had been installed first, it help the MBR which had to be rebuilt when you said bye to Vista.

It was not there anymore. Yes, Vista was there from the store but had been replaced by W-7 about a year ago thus the wasted Vista recovery in front of C:\ that I wanted to regain.

(Quote ) Fortunately there is a ton of info on the net on this problem, along with several threads in these forums for those just getting to this problem.

Yes, I agree, nothing beats RTFM. Nothing like writing this up to help others, this is how I benefited from others' experiences. Thanks Ted.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, hello.

" If then you were to add the new space to C: I'm pretty sure it would require a re-boot.".

It needed more than a reboot, it needed a new MBR. The DVD from W-7 did it all on its own, I just sat there and watched it performing that trick.

What did you really mean by reboot ?

A great day to you.

Jean.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    What did you really mean by reboot ?
    Jean,
    Hello... For example i use several partition managers..EASEUS for one can be run from within windows ... similar to Acronis ( Like when you add a Secure Zone ) these programs can't complete the action ( like adding free space to your C: partition ) until you re-boot ... Then, they will complete the action that you started from within windows. Most "Partition Managers" have to be run from a CD at boot time... because C: is "in use" otherwise. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    All right, couldn't you have done all that at installation? You had a choice of clean install or upgrade.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    All right, couldn't you have done all that at installation? You had a choice of clean install or upgrade.
    This is true, but many of us change our minds as time goes on, and wish to change or partitioning schemes, or change our OSes or whatever, and need to make changes to the basic order of our PCes, and thusly we utilize these various apps to assist with these changes with the least disruption to our computing. I have found that partition apps allow me to make significant changes with no problems created in fairly short order, perhaps an hour or less. In today's computing environment these apps work wonders, saving many tedious hours of reinstallation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Peter in Peterborough. ( there is no Jeanborough ! )

( Quote ) All right, couldn't you have done all that at installation? You had a choice of clean install or upgrade.

You are so right, in hindsight ! I did an upgrade thus the option was not presented. After a while of looking at Computor Management, I noticed this and wanted to remedy the situation. Gparted helped me and then after the move the MBR had to be redone, it did it by itself. Great, no ?

Maybe the upgrade did offer this : Use the whole disk. I forget.

Jean.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast