Star Lounger
    O'Fallon, IL near St. Louis
    Hello all,

I am in the market for a new computer. I've never had a laptop but am leaning towards this. As I research, I am unable to find a laptop with a 1394 port, only desktops. I have a Canon Mini-DV camcorder that can only transfer video thru it's 1394 port. DOes anyone know of any higher performance laptops that have a 1394 port built-in? Or or there any adaptor availbe to plug my camcoder in to a USB 2.0 or higher port? I bought a USB to 1394 cable but this does not work...I tested it with my current desktop machine's USB ports. It knows something got plugged in but says the device is malfunctioning. When I click to trouble shott it merely says to buy a new device (ooooh Redmond that's so helpful!). I guess I could do video editing on the older desktop machine in the family room but this is really bugginh me. How do newer Mini-DV camcoders transfer their video?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give. I could buy another dektop but would like to be set free.

California & Arizona
    It's looking more and more likely that firewire is becoming a dying breed in the computer industry.
    If you can't find a laptop with this capability you may have to consider a new USB 3.0 camcorder. You
    would be far more "future proofed" by going USB 3.0.

Firewire isn't dead yet so go around and visit laptop manufacturer's website and surf their laptop specs for what you want.
    You shouldn't have any problems finding what you need.
    Firewire Laptops: Low-Cost to Luxury
    laptop computers with firewire support

For desktop computers there is always the option of add on firewire PCIe cards.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.