New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 1 PC running Win 7, 2 running XP, and a laptop, also running XP. The laptop is disconnected each day when I take it to work, and reconnected when I come home. They all connect realiably to my home network. However sometimes the laptop connects, but doesn't appear in Win 7s list of networked computers. A restart of Win 7 usually fixes this. Is there some way to force Win 7 to refresh the list of computers on the network? I need a way to recognize that the laptop is conmnected, and add it to the list of networked computers, without requiring a restart of Win 7?

Thanks
    Hi Richard, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you checked to see that Network Discovery is turned on in the Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings on your Windows 7 computer?

Also, give this a try. Go to Windows Explorer and highlight the Network folder in your Explorer tree pane (leftmost pane). Then go to the upper right as shown below and click the Refresh arrows. Maybe that will cause your XP laptop to show in the Network folder.

[attachment=90655:Capture.PNG]

Check Administrative Tools > Services to see if Computer Browser and Server services are stopped on your Win7 computer. If they have, then start them.

If the above do not help, check out this MS link with an XP Hotfix to see if that may be relevant to your issue. It was concerning a problem in Vista but should apply to Windows 7 as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I know the name of the pc I'm connecting to, I will just hit the Start button in the task bar and type \\ and the name of the pc, for example, \\reception into the search box, then hit enter. All of that computer's shares will appear in the explorer window. On XP computers this works in the Start> Run... box.