New Lounger
    Thanks
    My Problem: Forms Controls Relocate in Excel 2010 When Printing.

I have over 30 files which were created in Excel 2003 on Windows XP. These files contain forms controls (buttons assigned to macros). The files were copied to my second computer which had Excel 2007 on Windows 7. They were then saved with .xlsm extensions. I upgraded from Excel 2007 to 2010. Now, when I print in Excel 2010, the forms control buttons are all relocated, scattered across the available space..

Has anyone else experienced this?

A Microsoft Support engineer has been analyzing the problem. He found that Excel 2007 worked correctly, but the feature was not included in 2010 version. The bug will likely be issued to MS as a quality report and no solution will come soon..

As of now, I may need to replace the buttons in the 2010 version files. The main trouble with that is I am keeping the Excel 2003 files as my main set on my XP machine, then copying to my Win 7 machine, and saving as .xlsm (Because most of the files are macro enabled, I must save as .xlsm.). Then, each time revisions are made in the 2003 version, the numerous old forms buttons must be replaced.

Regards, Ben

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Ben,

One option might be, back in your 2003 version, to replace the forms buttons with shapes or autoshapes - you can assign macros to these and use them in place of buttons.

I'm not near a PC with 2010 at the moment, so can't test whether these will continue to work in 2010, but am betting they will.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gary.
    Shapes, text boxes, and dropdown controls do not move. Some of the spreadsheets have 25 or more buttons. So, unless Microsoft has a quick solution, then I will spend about 1 hour for each of over 35 files. i will look at replacing buttons with text boxes in Excel 2003 version files. The text boxes can be autosized and given colors.

Ben

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a workaround by changing format settings on all forms control buttons as follows. (1) un-checked "Automatic size" and (2) chose "Move and size with cells." I did not test to see if just one of the old settings was causing the problem. Previous settings on most buttons were: (1) "Automatic size," and (2) "Move but don't size with cells."

I had numerous buttons (10 or more) on some pages. A macro was recorded for quickly making changes. Length of the buttons was increased slightly to keep some of the text from being cut off. The time required to fix all files was about 24 hours.

Microsoft has this quality issue on their list for future review.

Regards, Ben