View Poll Results: Registry Cleaners: Good or bad?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 31.25%
  • No

8 25.00%
  • It depends..........

14 43.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Over the months, a number of posts have referred to the value, or otherwise, of registry cleaners. Here is an article by SHOGAN in the latest PCPITSTOP TechTalk site that may spark some useful comment/debate:

My link

Here's a quote from the article to whet your appetite:

"One question I see over and over in our forums and even in our Customer Service department is, "What's the best registry cleaner " or "Is it safe to use a registry cleaner". You'll find almost as many answers to this question as there are geeks in a Starbucks but make no mistake, there are many registry wreckers out there. I'll tell you why you need to avoid them, and show you what's better. .....

"......All of the single function deep registry cleaners will remove registry keys, but the more you use them the more likely they are to remove needed keys. One thing you may have noticed is that each registry cleaner you use finds different things to remove. Keep changing registry cleaners and you will keep finding things to remove. The sad fact is that the more registry entries you remove the bigger your chance of killing your system. Remove the wrong key and not only can your computer become unstable, it may not even boot. I see it all the time. Show me a system with a registry cleaner and I'll show you an unstable system
    Deep cleaning your registry is not the way to a faster system. Most experts agree that in addition to being a huge risk there isn't any gain in speed or performance with a deep registry cleaner. If you want a faster system, buy faster hardware, that's been the driving force behind PC sales from the beginning."

Unfortunately, the article is "spoiled" by the advertising recommendation, contained within it, to buy a particular "PC cleanup" product----Does this cause a loss in credibility? Any way, a good point to start a debate on the merits/demerits of registry cleaners....

(Edit: amended article extract)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Any way, a good point to start a debate on the merits/demerits of registry cleaners....
    Peter,
    Hello... I hope you have your "woopin helmet" affixed... cause your probably going to get one... This topic has been "beat to death" and there is no clear answer... The "It depends" answer is the best one "cause".....

1. How much of a masochist you are... me.... it seems that i always take pleasure in messing up my "OS", go figure.

2. Also depends on how "up to speed" PC wise you are. What to eliminate or leave alone ( advice... better have a back up handy )

3. Also depends on "Why" your doing the "reg clean thing".... for example.. Did you inadvertently download and install a multi GB program in the wrong language

4. Or is it you perceive you system will work better... after a "good" cleaning ?

5.. Bottom line .... JV 16 power tools is the best one out there...when comparing with the one 's I've fooled with.. most others are "whinny the pooh" almost "as good as"

6. So...... i use jv-16 every day ...sometimes i "mess up".... most not, but I'm still learning.... wouldn't use a "reg " cleaner if i wasn't completely confident in my "backup strategy " ( Acronis \ Macrium ...and not the piece of nonsense that comes with windows ).

I'm sure this post won't make any difference for or against ....It's just an unending argument. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, not a good idea....

I know many here advocate the use of reg cleaners. I wonder if there is any way to test speed before and after cleaning?

I have had a few too many working systems that were messed up by using them.

the problem is that I have no scientific research to back up my position, only personal experience..

Thanks
    We use CCleaner often on our home PCs, all running various versions of Win 7 and have never had an issue, but we are also very careful of what we download and install, etc. I have to admit, we use it more for cleaning out temp. stuff rather than registry stuff, but either way have had no problems. I always use CCleaner to clean things up prior to creating a new image. I feel I don't need the junk (almost used a bad word here) in my image. After all this junk accumulates fast enough without being there from the get go.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    @Fred: I am aware the topic has been discussed a great deal (see my opening comments to this thread) The problem is, it's been scattered about. In addition, I keep seeing "reminders" that new versions of cCleaner have been published, suggesting/implying, perhaps, that it's the thing to use. It is clear (to me at least) that the impact of many important areas of computing is often lost when addressed sporadically in various different places because the context in which they are raised, differs, causing them (in the case of the Lounge) to appear in various threads under different headings. I decided to attempt to get a centralised point of discussion. If I fail, so be it!

(As for being "wooped" I give more credit to Loungers for knowing a genuine attempt to stimulate debate, as opposed to just trying to "stir things up").
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Well, I have always used a registry cleaner to clean my cash register.
    I find after using a registry cleaner my register functions much better and the keys don't stick at much.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Registry cleaners do have their uses. I have hosed a system by using them unwisely. I have and will continue to
    recommend their usage in certain situations. One should always have a backup or some means of recovery in place
    in the event something does go wrong.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I must say, (my dollar's worth) that my logic says there must be some value to these cleaners, otherwise why would they continue to exist? I can understand that the "paid for" ones might be praying on the fears of the uninformed to make money, but this surely does not apply to the "free" ones?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    We use CCleaner often on our home PCs, all running various versions of Win 7 and have never had an issue, but we are also very careful of what we download and install, etc. I have to admit, we use it more for cleaning out temp. stuff rather than registry stuff, but either way have had no problems. I always use CCleaner to clean things up prior to creating a new image. I feel I don't need the junk (almost used a bad word here) in my image. After all this junk accumulates fast enough without being there from the get go.
    Ted - it seems to me you are doing it backwards... If your computer is running fine, make an image before cleaning the registry. That way, if the cleaner messes things up, you have an image to go back to that is more up to date than the previous 'known good backup'.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lots of computers come my way. These are the registry cleaners I use and feel safe with:
    1 CCleaer
    2 Eusing
    3 jv16 power tools
    4 Glary utilities
    5 Advanced system care
    6 Auslogic
    Nary a problem with these boys.

Thanks
    Thanks. Now we are getting somewhere. It would be great to slowly compile a list of "safe", "Risky" and "bad" experiences with various cleaners. Judging by the number of readers to this thread so far, there is clearly interest in this topic. (459 as at 18 November)

Thanks
    I use CCleaner but don't use the registry cleaning option.
    I have heard a lot of horror stories about it.

Like Rodney says, I make an image every night just in case something happens.
    I always make an image before installing anything.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    WOW! I seem to be getting a lot of "Server Not Found" errors this morning, only with this forum!

Several years ago, I was reading a forum (or something) and CCleaner was being touted as the cat's meow.
    I tried it, and it left me with a PC that would not even boot. I restored my latest Ghost Backup Image file and was back in business, a little bit frazzled but a lot wiser. Actually I tried it again, more recently, with the same disastrous results. Again, Ghost saved the day for me.
    I continued to use the ONLY Registry Cleaner that I know and trust.........."Easy Cleaner II" from 'Toni Arts'.
    To date I've used that program successfully on hundreds of PC's with never any problem at all.

Unknown to most people, AVG has recently come out with a Tune-Up program that includes a Registry Cleaner. It will also defrag a HD if you let it.
    But, even though the registry cleaner worked without any problem, I found the Internet Connection Optimizer to be the most valuable part of the program.
    It greatly increased my internet speed on my desktop and doubled the download speed on my Netbook, operating on a Wireless N connection.

But cleaning the junk out of a registry is only half the job. The second half is compressing (like defragmenting) the registry down to its smallest size.
    Why, you may well ask? Because the entire registry has to load into RAM memory when a system boots up and the smaller it is the less RAM it will take up and the more efficient it will be. Cleaning a registry without re-compressing it, is a waste of time.

But dig this, , , you can do anything you want to the registry while it sits in RAM memory, but the changes are not written to the permanent copy on your HD till you shut down the system. So after you've made changes to your registry, you DO need to reboot your PC.
    SO, if you've made changes to your registry and you experience a power failure, on reboot you'll be reloading your OLD registry, not the one you've altered.

Just like with a hard drive, , , first you clean it and then you Defragment it....not the other way around.

A couple of years back, I tried MS Office 2007 and after finding it to be a bloated monster, I un-installed it.
    Then I cleaned my registry with "Easy Cleaner II" and re-compressed it with NTREGOPT and reduced the size of the registry by about 30 megabytes.
    So I found that Office 2007 not only bloated the HD, but it also bloated the registry.

Anyway, in the poll I had to check "It Depends", because so many so-called Registry Cleaners are either snake oil or downright Trojans.
    All these programs being advertised on TV today are nothing but scams. They scan your PC and list hundreds of problems and then when you click on "Fit It" they take you to their web site where you have to buy the program at $39 or $49 to fix the supposed problems. Can you say "SCAM" ???

I know SCAM's are not the topic in play here, but I just thought this would be a good place to mention them, since most of the SCAM's today involve registry cleaning. EH?

Maybe this would be a good time to throw in my all time favorite saying........."When in doubt.....DON'T!"

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All registry cleaners can both improve and destroy and everything in between, a PC. Imaging your system drive or backing up your current registry is indeed the thing to do before running any cleaner. For the best improvement possible, the user has to have an intimate awareness of the software, hardware and desired results of the cleaning. I have used several types and found there are only two or three that I would consider useful for the average user. My favorite is a function of SystemSuite by Avanquest. It breaks down the found results into absolutely safe, maybe and you had better know what you are doing classes. I have never had the safe-to-remove registry entries harm my machines and those of others, in any way. The maybe's are relatively simple to understand and if looked at hard, these removals are 100% safe as well. The last class of entries are reserved for only those knowing their level of geekiness.

SystemSuite is a compound product (suite of tools) that do most everything quite well, however, I do have to downgrade its defrag routine as extremely stupid and slow, but very safe. In addition, I must say that the Firewall is not on par with ZoneAlarm and the A/V stinks. Best results for me has been Malwarebytes for A/V. I prefer Vopt for defragmentation for its compacting ability, speed and safety. Give both a look if you are interested.

I install and uninstall all the time, so my registry gets a beating. Currently it is 62 mb for software and 6.1mb for system and anything I can do to keep it small I do. Also, a good defragger that eliminates all spaces between all sectors such as Vopt, cleaning and then compressing the registry and pagefile at boot are the next two best things you can for your system's boot time and all around speed without adding memory and cpu speed increases, imho.

MikieP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know many here advocate the use of reg cleaners. I wonder if there is any way to test speed before and after cleaning?
    Quoting myself here......

Why would I use it? Can we prove value? We know that there is risk....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast