New Lounger
    Thanks
    First time posting here.

I have just bought a new WD SATA drive to install in an older rig running XP SP3 and with an ASUS K8N-E-Deluxe motherboard. I wish to add my third SATA drive (1 TB) to my existing two comprising of a 200 GB and a 500 GB drive (all WD brand). The issue I have just realized is the amount of SATA connections I have. My motherboard has the SATA1 and SATA2 connectors and SATA_RAID1 through to RAID4.

Here is my question finally...

I noticed that there is a RAID setup called JBOD (just a bunch of drives). I was wondering if there was a way that I could use one of these controllers for a non-RAID purpose? I don't know until I open the case but the 200 GB drive (WD2000JD) might have a PATA option?

Any advice how I can keep the three drives with this motherboard? Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Skillin View Post
    Here is my question finally...

Any advice how I can keep the three drives with this motherboard? Thanks
    B. Skillin,
    Hello... and welcome to the lounge.. I have used SATA controllers ( Promise and Vantec ) on my " rig" with mixed results... Don't get me wrong I'm using one now ( have 4 SATA and 2 DVD RW \ CD's at this moment and at times i add the 5th SATA )... but they all have some "quirks" Your going to have to research this, phone calls to the vendors will help. (some even require that you have a "floppy" installed ?) As a start have a look here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ata+controller and keep in mind what PCI slots that you have available (and can be accessed ) Sometimes there is interference, (other cards etc.) and you might not be able to use some. There seems to be a "bizillion " of these things and before ordering one, call the manufacturer and ask them questions if the card will work on your "OS" I'm still trying to find one myself that will do everything that i want for Vista and "7". Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Is this the board with the 4 or 6 SATA ports?
    Are you actually using RAID now?

Check your controler, you may be confined to 1.5 Gb/s hard drive transfer speeds.
    I was wondering if there was a way that I could use one of these controllers for a non-RAID purpose?
    You can only use a RAID controler if you are planing on setting up RAID on your system.
    I don't know until I open the case but the 200 GB drive (WD2000JD) might have a PATA option?
    The last thing you want is a surprise when opening any box were you have purchased hardware.
    Know exactly what you are getting and what you currently have. Do your homework.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 2 SATA and 4 RAID ports on the motherboard. There is no big loss with the set-up since the third SATA drive will be only a 200 GB loss because I need the larger C drive now. I specifically chose a SATA II (3.0 GB) drive vs the SATA III (6.0 GB) because I know I can use a jumper on the SATA II to make it comply with my 1.5 GB limit then when I do up-date my computer I can get the full 3.0 GB transfer rate out of this new drive.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The connectors should allow you to use all drives individually as each is a distinct SATA controller.
    Having JBOD allows you to set up unusual RAID configurations instead of relying on matching disks.
    There are no drives that have both SATA and PATA interfaces.

cheers, Paul