Thanks
    I have a document that has a style called Story Title. Here's the description:

Font: 14 pt, Font color: Text 2, Swedish (Sweden), Indent: Left: 0.08", Hanging: 0.92", Outline numbered + Level: 2 + Numbering Style: a, b, c, + Start at: 1 + Alignment: Left + Aligned at: 0.08" + Indent at: 1", Style: Linked, Quick Style, Based on: Heading 3, Following style: Normal

I need to get this numbering to work in a new doc. The numbering works until the Story changes to a different number besides 1. In other words, I can't get it to change to 2.

where is outline numbering in 2007? I can't find it, and when I searched help, that was not helpful.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To get to outline numbering (now called multilevel lists) in Word 2007: on the Ribbon in the Home tab, look in the Paragraph group for the Multilevel list button. Click that and select 'Define new multilevel list'. If you click on the 'More' button that's at the bottom left corner of the ensuing dialog, you'll see the full dialog that's basically identical to the outline numbering dialog from earlier versions of Word.

You can use this dialog to associate different styles with various levels of a multilevel list.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I opened your file in W2010 and W2007, and the numbering is working correctly, that is, 1, 1a,1b ..., 2, 2a ,2b ..., 3, etc. Do you want something different?

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Pam,

I realize it's working correctly, but I'd like to copy that style to my doc. I guess I need to upload a version of the doc. It has sensitive information, so I'll have to edit it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In the first file you sent, the scenarios are heading2s, and the numbering list looks to be a customization of 1), a), i). In the second, the scenarios are heading1s, and the numbering list looks to be an uncustomized 1 Heading1, 1.1 Heading2, but the numbering list for Story title is the one from your first file. That's why the numbering doesn't work.

The fix is to 1) redo the numbering, from scratch in the New Scenarios file (particularly if you want to use heading 1 for the scenario headings), 2) create a template from the Scenarios file, so new documents based on it will have your customized scheme, or 3) create a list style (new to W2007) that you can name and share with (copy to) other documents. List styles do not appear in the styles pane (which only shows paragraph, linked, and character styles). They do show up in the multilevel list gallery and in manage styles tabs.

There are very likely more ways to fix your list. I just gave you the ways I'm more likely to use.

HTH,
    Pam
    Pam Caswell