Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I'm wondering if anybody out there has experience of using printer codes in Word 2007. We have a colleague who uses printer codes in a mail merge document. The document itself is 4 pages long. The following code is put at the top of the first page, which I think forces the document to print to a particular printer tray duplex:

{ PRINT 27"&11S" }{ PRINT 27"&11H" }

Then, at the top of the third page, there is this further code to print to a different tray and print duplex:

{ PRINT 27"&11S" }{ PRINT 27"&14H" }

Now, this worked when we used Word 2003 but now does not always work in 2007. When copying the codes into a different document or typing the codes directly into a document, it does not always print duplex or to the correct tray. If using an old file created before we upgraded they DO still work! We are using the same printer as before the upgrade.

Has anybody else encountered such problems with Word 2007 or aware that printer codes work differently in this version?

Thanks, Laurie

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Laurie,

Your problem description suggests that the real problem is that the Word 2007 documents are not always setup with the same printer defaults as the former Word 2003 documents.

FWIW, I think you could also combine each pair of fields. Thus:
    { PRINT 27"&11S" }{ PRINT 27"&11H" }
    becomes:
    { PRINT 27"&11S" 27"&11H" } or { PRINT 27"&11S &11H" }
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good point about combining the codes, thanks. But how can the printer defaults be different. With both the old and new document open at the same time, print one and then the other and you get different results, so I'm not sure how the printer setttings would be different.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Laurie,
    But how can the printer defaults be different. With both the old and new document open at the same time, print one and then the other and you get different results, so I'm not sure how the printer setttings would be different.
    Because the print defaults for a document are set at the document level, not at the application level.

If you go to Page Layout>Page Setup>Paper and check the settings for both documents, you may find they differ. If so, it may be that those settings, combined with the position of the field codes on the page (see comments below) are playing a significant role.

As for what the codes should do:
    27"&11S" = duplex, long-edge binding
    27"&11H" = print from upper tray
    27"&14H" = print from lower or mp tray

The results you get can be affected by where on the page the codes are positioned. For some printers you need to insert these codes at the beginning of the page where you want the new setting to take effect - and that can mean that, if header or footer text exists in the document (including page numbers), you must insert the code in the header on a line by itself, terminated with a hard-carriage return. Since some printers are susceptible to the field positioning, the wisest course is to insert these codes at the beginning of the pages concerned - in the header if the page has one (in a complex document, this may necessitate creative use of different first page and odd/even page settings and Section breaks).

Finally, I'll even concede that a Word docx file might behave differently in this regard to a Word doc file. So you might care to experiment with the file format and see whether changing that has any effect.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ah ok I see what your saying. I think you're probably right that it is the postion of the codes on the page that is affecting the outcome. In the working document the codes are placed in the body of the document not the header. Maybe that would work better for other documents.

Also, I think your other idea is worth testing. I thought afterwards maybe I could have tried the different file formats and see if that affects results.

Won't have a chance to check until Monday now, but I'll report back findings in case it's useful for anyone else.

Thanks for you help.

Laurie