Thanks
    I just read this article by Ed Bott titled "Microsoft vs. McAfee: How free antivirus outperformed paid" . It is a very interesting read, and is an indicator that those who choose free antivirus are pretty well protected.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Good info. Obviously MSE is just an AV/AM product and does not have all the features of some of the 3rd party suites that include much more than AV/AM. For simple AV/Am I do not think you can beat the free MSE. I have it on all my systems and most of my families systems. All are virus and malware free at last check. For firewall, the one included with Win 7 seems to do the trick along with my hardware firewall in my router. These, combined with virtual environments when going to unknown sites keep me safe. Thank you to MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I run pretty much the same setup Ted. I do have one Windows 7 machine running Avast Free, and that one has also remained clean from the very beginning, just as the ones with MSE. I also switched to Windows Firewall when Vista debuted, and continue to use it on Windows 7. I also have a front end to Windows Firewall called Windows 7 Firewall Control. It advises me when an app wants to go out to the Internet so I can determine if I allow it once, allow it forever, or deny it altogether. The alert bell is very annoying, but once you have your outbound preferences set, it rarely goes off. It has made configuring Windows Firewall very easy and takes little in the way of resources. I use the free version, and you can see all versions here. It is probably better for the average user to just stick with the defaults in Windows Firewall, but at least this software lets you know from time to time that Windows Firewall is standing guard.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I installed this. Now just have to figure out how to use it. Is there a user guide? I'll have to look around a little. Thanks for the info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Morning Ted,

I am not aware of a user guide, but there may be one on their web site. When it alerts you to something requiring attention, you will sure hear it go off. The gong is obnoxious. Then you just have to decide if it is appropriate to allow or deny. You can however change the alert sound to something a little more pleasing to the ear. You can also add programs that you know you want to allow to communicate online. Some functions are only available in the pay for version, and there is a comparison chart to see what is included and excluded in the free version.

Have fun!
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Fortunately, I have my PC muted most of the time, no Gongs! I have started seeing how it works. Have allowed IE, WLM, WMP to connect. I will have to see what things look like as time goes on. Thanks for the info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an interesting factoid, for those thinking of changing to MSE:

Back to the original topic...I've been using NIS for the past year with my new Win7 PC. During that year, waking the PC up has taken progressively longer, 'til it was taking about 10 or 11 seconds for the screen to come up. Apparently, it was NIS to blame. I didn't want to fork over 60 bucks, or so, to re-up for another year of NIS, so after reading recent WS articles about MSE, I decided to try it. With MSE installed, instead of NIS, it now takes 3 seconds for the screen to appear on waking-up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    During that year, waking the PC up has taken progressively longer, 'til it was taking about 10 or 11 seconds for the screen to come up. Apparently, it was NIS to blame. I didn't want to fork over 60 bucks, or so, to re-up for another year of NIS, so after reading recent WS articles about MSE, I decided to try it. With MSE installed, instead of NIS, it now takes 3 seconds for the screen to appear on waking-up.
    Waking up from suspend, or from the screen turning off? If the PC was running but with the screen off, NIS may have been doing scans or disk maintenance when the PC was idle. (By the way, if you decide that miss NIS, you often can buy it at retail with a mail-in rebate that reduces the price to $10 or less, e.g., at FRYS.com for the next few days.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Waking up from suspend, or from the screen turning off? If the PC was running but with the screen off, NIS may have been doing scans or disk maintenance when the PC was idle. (By the way, if you decide that miss NIS, you often can buy it at retail with a mail-in rebate that reduces the price to $10 or less, e.g., at FRYS.com for the next few days.)
    From suspend. I put it to 'sleep' whenever I'm not going to be using it for any period of time, using the start menu. NIS notified me when it was doing anything. I won't miss NIS - I didn't use any "features" of the program; I just used it for a firewall/anti-virus/anti-malware program. MSE, along with Win7's firewall, is just as good for that, from what I've read. So far, so good.