Thread: Boot Up Slow

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently my computer has been slower than usual at booting up. I have run ccleaner and defraggler, but this has not improved the time much. Any suggestions as to what I can do to decrease that boot time. I am running Norton 260 for information, and have a sneaking suspicion that this program is part of the problem,

Charles H. Parker

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
    I am running Norton 260 for information, and have a sneaking suspicion that this program is part of the problem,
    Charles,
    Hello... I have an "OS" that runs Vista Home Premium , and it had Norton 360, and now Norton Internet Security 2011 .... No difference in perceived boot time... one to another. . You can disable 360 temporarily and try to boot ....see if that is the cause ... Vista has always been slow booting for me. The problem might be the number of programs that get "loaded" at boot time... Have you recently installed any new software? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I agree with Fred. Look at the number of apps loading at boot. In my PC I have just 2 apps, AV/AM and my Alps Touchpad (laptop PC). It seems that when you install a new app, they ALL feel they are important enough that they always need to run in the background, NOT!!! Shut them all down except those you really need using any number of apps made for this (Autoruns for Windows is one such app) I believe you will see a marked improvement in boot time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. I do hope Microsoft speeds up the boot time in the future. I have disabled just about everything in my load up file except Norton 360. Maybe I will just have to save my Money for Windows 7, but I do not want to get into this until the kinks are worked out. I have many friends that are still on XP and several that are on 98.

Thanks again for the good advice. I appreciate it a lot. have a good day.

Charles H. ( Mike) Parker

Thanks
    A few other options to try:
    Disable indexing, remote assistance, and system restore in Vista. (optional, as many can't seem to live without)
    Go into your services section and start disabling uneeded services. Get them down to a managable 35 or 40.
    Ensure that boot defragmentation is enabled, so that files used during start-up are clubbed together. Start Regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Dfrg\ BootOptimizeFunction .
    Select Enable from the list on the right. Right Click on it and select Modify. Change the value to Y to enable and N to disable. Reboot.
    In the boot section of msconfig, place a zero in the area marked "timeout". You may shave 30 second off the boot time by that alone.
    Clear your taskbar icons near the clock to bare minimum. That will mean removing all startup apps except the essentials, like AV software.
    Remove any pre-installed crapware that may have come with your computer.
    Ensure that all of your core drivers are uptodate.
    Check and remove all items in the "Startup" folder of the all programs menu in your start button area.
    Ensure scheduled tasks arn't running at startup. Remove all scheduled tasks period.
    Remove extra fonts if you have applications that have added them.
    Consider adding more RAM to your computer if you are able.
    Go to BIOS settings, by pressing Del key during boot-up, and disable 'seek floppy drive' option. This saves time for those who do not use floppy drives.
    There are also some BIOS hacks like Enabling Quick Post, Disabling Boot Delay, etc but best to refrain from these.
    Go to BIOS settings and disable 'seek floppy drive' option. This saves time for those who do not use floppy drives.
    There are also some BIOS hacks like Enabling Quick Post, Disabling Boot Delay.

Others:
    How To Make Windows Start, Run and Shutdown Faster
    How To: Make Windows Vista Boot Faster With Multiple Cores
    How to make Vista boot faster; http://www.ehow.com/how_4891601_vista-boot-faster.html
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.