2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

It's been several years since I used Access, so have alot to refresh on and learn.

I have the following SQL code

SELECT ED_data.Region, ED_data.Departure_Date, Count(ED_data.URN) AS CountOfURN
    FROM ED_data
    GROUP BY ED_data.Region, ED_data.Departure_Date;

I would like to group the Departure_Date field into months. The data is currently provided by day. I formatted the field to mmm/yyyy but this only resulted in Region then 30 entires for each month. I just want 12 entries for each region (one for each month).

Can someone tell me how to group the data in the query so that I only have one amount for each month?

Thanks
    capri

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by capri View Post
    Hi,

It's been several years since I used Access, so have alot to refresh on and learn.

I have the following SQL code

SELECT ED_data.Region, ED_data.Departure_Date, Count(ED_data.URN) AS CountOfURN
    FROM ED_data
    GROUP BY ED_data.Region, ED_data.Departure_Date;

I would like to group the Departure_Date field into months. The data is currently provided by day. I formatted the field to mmm/yyyy but this only resulted in Region then 30 entires for each month. I just want 12 entries for each region (one for each month).

Can someone tell me how to group the data in the query so that I only have one amount for each month?

Thanks
    capri
    Do you want months accumulated over years?
    If so just use mmmm as the format.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Month function extracts the month from a date. If the data runs over multiple years you would also need to group by Year as well.

Code:
    SELECT ED_data.Region, Year(ED_data.Departure_Date) As DeptYear , Month(ED_data.Departure_Date) As DeptMonth, Count(ED_data.URN) AS CountOfURN
    FROM ED_data
    GROUP BY ED_data.Region, Year(ED_data.Departure_Date), Month(ED_data.Departure_Date),
    Order by ED_data.Region, Year(ED_data.Departure_Date), Month(ED_data.Departure_Date)
    Regards
    John