New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a talented beginner so this may seem a silly question but here goes: I use WXP and I have my HP PSC plugged into a front usb port (the ones in the back are filled).
    When I need to reboot my Dell computer, I must unplug the PSC or my computer will not reboot.
    I am awfully curious to know why this happens.
    Many thank, Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Judy,

I don't know what causes this but you are not alone! I have a client who has exactly the same problem. I've been unable to figure out the cause so far.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi Judy, welcome to the lounge.
    -
    Try using safely remove hardware on the taskbar before a reboot.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have a peripheral plugged into your front USB port and it interferes with your boot process, so that your computer doesn't boot until you unplug your perifphera, I would suspect that adding your peripheral is just about straining your computer capacity to the limit. Now, I don't know what you have connected to the USB port in the back of the computer, but I suggest you decide which USB peripherals are most important and, if the peripheral that you're plugging into the front USB port is less important than others, then plug that peripheral in a back USB port, and don't plug anything into your front ports until your computer has booted up.

Not knowing anything else about your computer, I would say it sounds like your computer is being used to its processing capacity. This means that you might need more RAM or, perhaps, a new computer with more resources.

Good luck...and don't rush out and buy a new one...change you USB connections first and see what happens...and don't forget to clean the registry and other assorted junk from your computer, to free up as much disk space as you can...

Bertie

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whoops...I erred in what I said...I meant to say "if the peripheral you are plugging into the front of your computer is more important than the ones in the back, then plug that peripheral into one of the back USB ports, and leave the rest unplugged until you reboot your computer...

Sorry about that...
    Bertie

Thanks
    Check your BIOS settings to make sure that Legacy USB is enabled.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, everybody,for your replies and suggestions. I have made a list and will be trying everythinng that you suggested.
    Cheers, JUdy