Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.

Yesterday I wanted to install W-7 on a desktop, slipped in the proper DVD and after a while, I got a red LED on the device. This machine has no DVD-ROM or Writer.

Tomorrow, I will copy the DVD to a pendrive and try to install from it. Question : Will it ? Will the USB ports be lost in the first few steps of the install ? Is the install coded to look for a DVD device and not else ? This will be fun.

I had an old Thinkpad whose CD went south and I was able to load all that I wanted from a copy to a pendrive, but and a big but, there was an OS already on it, W2K. This attempt tomorrow will be to load an OS !

Taking bets now ! Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

The critical hurdle is if the BIOS can be set to boot from USB, which most can be these days...less likely the older the desktop is.

Thanks
    There are numerous articles on doing just this via a Google Search. MS Technet also shows how to prepare and load the Win 7 installation files on your flash drive. Then as Byron states your PC must be set to check your USB ports before DVD or HD to allow the Win 7 installation to proceed from the flash drive. Good luck. Once loaded, buy a new DVD for the PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted and Byron, greets.

Well, it was done. I am now typing at you both on the P4 that just got upgraded to W-7. It was a bit of a struggle but done ! I could not do it from a pendrive, I could not set the machine to boot from USB. I then copied the whole DVD, get this, to a slave HD on it via the LAN. Once done, it was kid's play to click on Setup.exe and voila.

Game not over yet. I had to get on the router and had to try a few ethernet cards, the one in it was not seen by W-7, I searched in my reserve and finally found one that worked, I am on it now at 10/100 to write this. Some more tweeking to do still. See you later.

Jean.

Thanks
    Good for you. Perhaps next time the PC will have a USB option in the boot order. Nice method to get it done.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, good method. I was going to suggest an ISO of the Win7 DVD mounted in a virtual DVD drive but that would require making the ISO if not already on hand and installing virtual drive software if not already present.

With a LAN present there's also the possibility of mapping an optic drive from another system and installing that way, but if the local LAN card becomes inoperable as Win 7 is installed, that method may fail unless everything needed to complete the install is read from the DVD before the LAN card stops working.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello to both of you.

I said that there was tweeking left to be done, there is. Keeping in mind that this machine is a P4, long in the tooth. The video is a bit of a pain, it will only give me 1024 X 768 and the circles are elongated right-left. I will be looking for a better vid-card.

I also got O2K installed and the path to all my .docs too. So, it is a workable machine, it will be a stand-by one. I was curious to see if this could be done, I have used one key out of three on this family DVD. I will instal one more on my sister's machine running Vista already, this could ??? be easier.

Hey, I just resolved the 1024 X 768 mode by going to 88% zoom level. Quite nice now.

Thanks for the moral support.

Thanks
    Win 7 does seem more behaved on older hardware. Just keep the background apps to a minimum to get a machine that responds as quickly as possible. Good luck with it all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted