Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why is it difficult connecting to a wireless in an airport? Is it a Windows 7 thing? i like to think it is *me*

I always seem to have trouble. Isn't there a way- just press the button and bingo?

Also if i am at a friend's home- we have to figure out how to connect to their connection.

is there such thing- simplicity?

thanks

Thanks
    Hi Stephen,

I do not know what is going on in Airports due to security issues these days, but if there is an unprotected wifi connection to be had, your Windows should detect its presence. Click on the wireless icon on the notification bar as shown below, and you should see all available networks in range, with the strength of each signal as well. Select your choice and click "Connect".

[attachment=90652:Network icon.PNG]

In Windows 7 go to the Network and Sharing Center. Your network type should be "Public" if in an airport or anywhere that is not a private residence.

As to connecting at a friend's home, I assume it is protected wifi which requires a wireless key or passphrase to be entered before you can establish a connection. Your PC should detect its presence, and offer it for connection, but your friend would have to give you the key to enter when prompted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    what you say is true- thanks. maybe i have to learn how to do it right the first time.

at a public place- airport terminals... i know what you are talking about. but still it is not done quickly.

at the same time - at my friend's home, i do not recall if the connection was broadband or wireless. - she had to go to her files to activate the network connection. and it still took 10-15 minutes.

go figure- i cannot.

thanks for your replies!

Thanks
    I can connect to unsecured WiFi sites quite quickly. I can not imagine what your problem might be. It generally takes about 45 seconds or so for my Bluetooth radio in my laptop to find all the networks close enough to use, then, if an unsecured location is available, usually only seconds to actually connect to that network. I work in the city as a street paramedic and often pull my PC whereever I'm at to find ways to connect. More often than not I can find and connect to an unsecured connection to check mail and surf (not that we generally have a lot of spare time) It's surprising how many unsecured sites are actually available, but as Gerald states choose Public Network for these unsecured connections and do not access any of your important financial or other data while connected. Also, make sure your security apps are up to date.

I would suspect your problem may be more of a problem with your WiFi radio rather than Win 7. You may want to contact your PC manufacturer to discuss this problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post

I would suspect your problem may be more of a problem with your WiFi radio rather than Win 7. You may want to contact your PC manufacturer to discuss this problem.
    i will check that out. thanks for your time and explanation. i have to wait a week or so. i am about to do some long distance traveling.